Patio Door Handle Won't Turn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved in - conservatory has double doors. One side opens fine. The other side, that the first closes onto: the key unlocks (or feels like it does) but the handle won't budge.

Is it possible to get to the mechanisms inside by removing the metal strip along the exposed edge (the one with all the various catch points that the primary door locks into)?

If not, do I need to get a window company in?

Sponsored Links
WabbitPoo, Hi

OK its a thought? have you tried WD40? on the "espaniolete" bits, that is the three points that slide up and down to get the locking mechanism to catch with the other door?

Also squirt some WD40 into the lock [where the key goes] as an added assist

If that works, it is a short term "fix" apply some suitable grease for a longer term "fix"

I live some 60 M. from the Sea and have to at least once a year use wd40 Etc. to ensure that some of my locks work, that of course is down to salt contamination that gums up metal fine bits inside locks.

Hope this assists?

Ken.

Thank you but I tried it in the locking mechanism and anywhere else I could think of. It feels like the unlocking isn't actually unlocking, even though, when I take off the handle, i can see that the key does flip some sort of component within the mechanism.....

Here is a view of the offending side, though I doubt it'll help....

So the handle wont push down to disengage the locks?

As it is a slave door you would need to remove the center jamb from the door to get to locking gear (it may be screwed from the other side which would mean deglazing the door too).

I would say its best to get someone out for this job

Sponsored Links
That's what I feared.. thank you.

Yes the handle wont turn at all even after apparently unlocking.

Perhaps not really on message, but I would point out that you should never use oil or grease on a lock mechanism, you should use graphite powder available from locksmiths and better DIY sheds as lock lubricant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back