Patio Door shattered glass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Yesterday I heard a loud bang and found one half of my patio door's glass shattered. I live in a block of flats and the patio door is at the entrance of my balcony. There does not seem to be any objects to hit it to shatter so I'm assuming it could be changes in the weather. The doors are at least 10 years old.

Is it easy to replace the glass rather than replace the door and how much roughly am i expecting to pay? The glass measures 80cm x 190cm.
rffzTM9

The part that has cracked is on the outside and fixed whilst the internal glass is fine. The sliding part of the door is OK also.

Also as my flat is a leasehold, will i need to inform the freeholder or insurance company when I replace it?

Sorry for the basic and obvious questions.
rffzTM9

Thanks

Sponsored Links
it will vary according to where you are. I paid about £400. My door was aluminium so it came apart after undoing the screws in the corners. The new one took two men to carry it as I specified laminated glass which is heavier and more expensive. Look for a local independent who's been in business for some years (not one of the big national companies who advertise on TV).

You might find you can put in an insurance claim, but the loss of no-claims bonus might outweigh the benefit.

Can't see your photo but you can usually copy and paste into your post, or use the "upload a file" button if it is stored on your PC, or on a phone or camera connected to it with a USB cable or something.

*edit: price corrected

Thanks John

Try the photo attached

Attachments

• IMG_20190421_105925.jpg
    IMG_20190421_105925.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 165
well that's odd, I couldn't see it before.

If on, or near, the ground floor, it might have been done by a burglar.

I have amended the price in my earlier post. It was to measure up and order (they are made to measure) and fit a sealed unit to my existing door. He also did something to the rollers to make it run more freely.

Sponsored Links
Its on the 2nd floor of the block of flats.
It cracked during the day while i was in so it would be high unlikely a burglar attempt as we also have security gates and cctv cameras.

Its on the 2nd floor of the block of flats.
It cracked during the day while i was in so it would be high unlikely a burglar attempt as we also have security gates and cctv cameras.
Toughened glass does go without any obvious reason.

Pressures can build up, differential temperatures between the inner and outer glazing, all are reasons given, but it's clear glazing can spontaneously crack or break.

As said it will cost a few hundred pounds.

If it's your landlord's responsibility, he should pay, otherwise he only needs to know if the tenancy/leasehold agreement says so.

Blup

A bird strike in the right spot can be enough to shatter, pea size stone thrown out by my lawn mower shattered my glass.

Yeah could bird strike, stone flicked up from strimmer or lawnmower and then just thermal break (not that type), all been known to break toughened glass, by virtue of the fact its toughened means its constantly under some stress, if it decides it doesn't want to play anymore it just lets go, I've had many just decide to shatter in my hands carrying them from the van and up the drive.

I can get toughened for roundabout 30 quid a square metre, you can double that easily for retail, you patio is aluminium and looks like its beaded from inside so no stripping down. Next job is to remove the unit without getting glass everywhere, tricky but doable

Around £300ish. Probably the nickel in the glass expanding which will cause the glass to explode

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back