Patio flush with Bifolds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay not quite flush, just higher than the DPC. So how to mitigate the obvious issues? The photo shows the intended small patio area within the red. My initial idea is to build a small wall along the green line as a retainer for the patio to the right, and leave a trench area to the right to avoid bridging the dpc and then put in a suspended floor over that trench, this could essentially be a drain grid or just decking. the garden is virtually level so a fall away from house is easy. And the soil is very sandy and free draining with foundations directly on sandstone. I wasn't going to provide anything other than straight into the ground below the trench. The eaves here are 600mm on single storey lean to here, but does face west so gets lashed at our low rainfall east mids location. Does this sound okay? Any better solution, and source of suitable linear drain grid? They seem extortionate. Thanking you!

patio-plan.jpg

Sponsored Links
Okay, I've looked at other forum posts too. It seems quite straightforward. With a plastic drain this fulfils the membrane you would otherwise put against the wall as you bridge the DPC. However I think as you bed the drain unit into its concrete footing it would be better to plaster the side of the channel with mastic before pushing it against the wall and bridging the DPC. That would seem to be the best belt and braces. Then on other side of unit on same footings build a wall or curb units to height of patio and have patio fall away from drain to garden. Drain is then purely for flash flood and runoff from bifold glazing. Have I got that right? Any issues / misunderstandings?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back