Patio Height Against Extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Last summer we had a single storey extension to the rear of the house. The builders have done a fantastic job, really pleased with the finish, the space we’ve gained and our new kitchen (really recommend a Quooker tap!).

Unfortunately for us, the budget ran out (thanks inflation) before we could include getting the garden/new patio in the build but as I’m reasonably DIY competent I fancy having a go at doing this myself. The plan is; sleeper wall edging (the patio will sit about 30cm lower than the rest of the lawn and garden), stone pavers laid on cement on top of hardcore base.

I’ve dug out the space (roughly 5m x 3.5) and I’m just about ready to start putting down hardcore etc. and having read a bit onlineabout building regs and needing 150mm gap from DPC height, I’m left with a question. If I laid 100mm channel drains along the wall of the house, feeding into existing drainage, would 75mm gap to DPC be allowable or not?

I ask because my reading suggests this might be allowed as the paving isn’t directly against the wall but want to make sure, otherwise I best get the spade out again!

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Hi
I’m assuming you mean aco’s? If 75mm is all you have to work with and install aco’s it will be fine however if there is a way to get 150mm below your doc that would be the better and preferred option
Best wishes
Jake

Paving is not covered by building regulations. If the extension has been signed off, you can do what you like with the paving.

Woody i think he’s more concerned about dpc level and damp from the patio, think he just worded it wrong

Sponsored Links
Woody i think he’s more concerned about dpc level and damp from the patio, think he just worded it wrong
Yes, but if there is a cavity wall, it won't matter what the paving level is, there won't be a damp issue. Or just coat the lower 300mm of wall with a quality water repellant.

All useful replies thanks.

I do indeed mean aco drains but had been left confused about what the building regs said about height of the dpc from the paving and wanting to make sure I don’t create myself an issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back