Patio height and requirement for wall/balustrades

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am doing an extension & patio. What are the regulations on 600mmm drops from patios? Will need a wall/balustrade (which I would ideally like to avoid).

Is the patio in the pic below ok?

I am planning a flower bed (probably below the wall, but could be along the top of the wall). Does this make any difference?

Thanks.
2211c4bfec62b26f98241abf636dcfa1.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks.

Is that because part K only applies to buildings and this is a patio? So it is outside the jurisdiction of the BCO who is inspecting the extension?

Sponsored Links
I recall BC getting interested if it's the only access point to the garden, common sense should prevail.

It's outside the scope of the b/regs - not defined building work.

Btw why are the steps uneven ( and a bit high?)? That can be more hazardous.

If it was steps out of a new extension and therefore attached to the extension, then it would be part of the regs on the extension.

In that case, steps of more than 600mm need balustrading.

Btw why are the steps uneven ( and a bit high?)? That can be more hazardous.
Ha, not sure. That is a pic off of the internet, but it is very similar to the patio I am about to start building. Although I will request even steps, that aren't too high...

If it was steps out of a new extension and therefore attached to the extension, then it would be part of the regs on the extension. In that case, steps of more than 600mm need balustrading.
My new extension is to be a full width rear extension, the existing patio (which is massive) is being raised. So the steps won't attach to the extension; they will attach to the newly raised patio, which attaches to the new extension (the patio is c5m deep). Is this ok?

IF you ever plan on hosting a party, BBQ etc. where children or drunk\tiddly people are involved then a balustrade would be essential - that drop will hurt and i's so easy to fall off. How about a glass wall around it?

IF you ever plan on hosting a party, BBQ etc. where children or drunk\tiddly people are involved then a balustrade would be essential - that drop will hurt and i's so easy to fall off. How about a glass wall around it?
Thanks. NB that pic is not mine, it is to illustrate (approximately) a wall I plan to build. I estimate that is 12 courses/900mm high. I expect mine will be c500mm in the most part, but maybe 600-700mm around the side. I may bank the grass up to reduce the drop in this area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back