Garden/Patio Wall Height Minimum

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a patio which sits above my grass by about three standard bricks and I want to build a wall around the patio at around 8 bricks high so the wall from the patio side looks about 5 bricks high. Can anyone tell me what the minimum height should be to avoid a trip hazard and to meet any regulations? I've attached an image which might do a better job than my description :)

Attachments

• Patio Wall Height.jpg
    Patio Wall Height.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 109
Sponsored Links
If you are concerned about visitors tripping (people with monocular vision are particularly susceptible to this) I would probably recommend having it up to above knee height at least, but as above for domestic you're expected to get used to the levels in your own home.
Another option is to make it obvious it's not a way to access the lawn - eg plant a flower bed or pots along the side or top.
But I assume the problem would already exist with the current step down - or is that what you're trying to mitigate?

Sponsored Links
If you are concerned about visitors tripping (people with monocular vision are particularly susceptible to this) I would probably recommend having it up to above knee height at least, but as above for domestic you're expected to get used to the levels in your own home.
Another option is to make it obvious it's not a way to access the lawn - eg plant a flower bed or pots along the side or top.
But I assume the problem would already exist with the current step down - or is that what you're trying to mitigate?
Thanks - we're going with four bricks high from the patio side - as far as visibility, there will be coving along the top of the wall and columns with lights either side of the steps and at the corners so I hope that will define the boundary enough without any more plants. I expect we'll end up with planters on the other side as well though - not up to me ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back