Patio/Paving slabs over concrete base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Apologies this has probably been discussed before and might be a stupid question.

I'm wanting to get patio/paving slabs in my garden, rip out the gravel and flowerbed on the left hand side and patio all the way up including the main walkway.
My question is, would I have to rip up all the existing concrete? Or can I lay patio over that providing i have the correct sub base that doesn't go over the damp course of my house.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

IMG_2108.jpg

Sponsored Links
Well in theory you could raise the level a little, BUT then splashes will soak the bricks above the DPC, and if there are enough splashes getting that high you would get damp inside.
The other thing to consider is that something is settling for that crack to appear, my own personal choice would be to rip up the old paving that's there.

If raising the level close to/over the dpc level, you could leave a channel, (at least 4" wide), to a depth below the dpc and fill with gravel or pebbles to prevent splash back against the wall.
But as Mike13 says, that floor looks as though something is/has heaved so I would want to rip it up and investigate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back