Patio sub base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I inherited this as part of a house move, it did have a shed on it which unsurprisingly had a rather uneven floor :eek:
The whole area is 3.6m X 4m and is very solid apart from this end
Screenshot_20200820-223733.jpg

The fence posts are very solid with a couple of concrete gravel boards at the bottom, and these are on top of a high retaining wall going down to the next garden below (to the left in the picture).

Not really sure what's gone on with that last row or flags but there isn't much underneath them except lots of crumbly sandy material. I'm going to get someone in to sort it (maybe replacing them all with something prettier) but wanted an idea of what they should be doing before they just suggest filling it with more sand!

I'm thinking some proper hardcore should go down first, but can that go right up to the gravel boards and be whacked down without the gravel boards breaking?

Sponsored Links
If you are going to replace the flags then it is probably wise to remove the present ones and re-do the whole sub base, laying down and whacking some more hardcore.
Otherwise, removing the tilted slabs and re-doing that left hand section, (again with hardcore and sand), would be the cheaper option.
You can certainly whack upto the edge of the gravel boards without damaging them so long as you don't go pushing the whacker against the face of them.

Cheers. Would be nice if I could get away with just sorting out the last row but I know my other half has eyes on something more Mediterranean :whistle:

Sponsored Links
okay - so I pulled down the remaining side of the shed this morning and discovered a rather large problem that caused the upheaval of the flags
patiotree.jpg

I thought this tree was in the neighbours garden, but it seems to have grown from my side of the small wall. Seems a very big trunk if its just squeezed between some flags and a stone wall though!?

I don't think there is any option but to get this removed, presumably from well under the patio surface too :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back