paving drainage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, ive been searching the net for answers but cant pull together all the info i need.

This is a bad drawing of what i want to achieve.

housepaving.jpg

Red is house, green is front lawn, little blue squares are gullies for downpipes, little yellow rectangle is step to front doo.

Its not to scale :LOL:

Area to front of house is around 5m square, maybe a little more, maybe i can make it a bit less.

Rear patio falls to flower beds so thats ok.

Its the side i am unsure about.

1.As its mostly to the side do i still have to comply with permeable paving regs?

2. Sub base would be straight on heavy clay, is permeable paving even possible without extra drainage?

3. If not, i was going to make it fall to the house (cant go other way), use linear drain along the house then drain into front lawn. Sound ok? I guess ill need a soak away?

4. Am i correct that i would need planning to link it into the existing drainage pipes?

5. what about the front where it meets the pavement. I could fit another linear drain but where to link it? Front lawn falls alot so would need a soak away right at the front.

Its not a proper driveway, but motorcycle access. Will have dropped kerb though but only a 1m extension of next doors drop kerb.

I just need the simplest and cheapest way to do this really. Will probably use slabs. Can be dry laid with gaps if need be.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Oh, back to front fall is about 1 in 10. Front garden a bit more.
Front lawn will also be a bit higher than the path.

No thoughts?

The main things that are causing me trouble are the fact its clay (permeable wont drain properly), the fact the fall is quite strong, and not knowing if it needs to meet regs.

If its not a driveway, then you can do what you like with it

I'd just angle it as necessary to run into any existing gullies

Sponsored Links
Existing gullies have raised surrounds, but i could change that.

Is it ok to add more gullies and pipe them into the existing pipework?

I was a landscaoers labourer for a year or so when i was young, have fitted lots of gullies and drainage but im sure i read somewhere that that needs planning permission, or is that only for front driveways?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back