Paving issue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are currently house hunting and have found a property we like and will likely putting in an offer for this week.

Just wondered if anyone had an opinion on what is going on with the rear paved patio? As you can see the row of flags adjacent to the house are raised up on an angle and there appears to be expanding foam applied in the gap between the house and the patio.

The house is unoccupied so can't ask the current owners.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20180910_163802.png
    IMG_20180910_163802.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 160
  • IMG_20180910_163808.png
    IMG_20180910_163808.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 157
Sponsored Links
Poor drain work, maybe pipe too shallow to lay the slabs over?

I’d look in the manhole to see how deep it is.

I'd go with all the old patio has sunk and Bodget and scarper or useless home owner thought I'll use foam to raise slabs at the rear door.

Relay or new patio will sort it.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, no large trees in the vicinity. I will look into the drains (pardon the pun).

Given how close the patio is to the door threshold, it looks to me like the patio has been raised - suggest you check where the damp proof course is, as it might be lower that the patio which could cause damp issues. Angling slabs like that can minimise direct water ingress and prevent a puddle forming against the wall, but it looks suspiciously like a bodge-job to try to fix a problem - I'd get it looked at or caveat any offer you make on the house subject to further inspection.

rubble2, no need for drain cameras or lookin for tree roots.
dont waste money on inspections before buyin, use that money to do it up.

unless its got structural issues or the place is a reck just buy it if you like it - all houses have issues,new an old.

lonner an ianH have got the right idea -
a bit of digin, a bit of gulley work an drainage, an then relaying the flags.
take care of it in your own time an budget after yyouve got the house.

in the scheme of buyin a house its a nothin.use it as a blag for getin a few bob nocked off the price but the
mortgage surveyor will call it an might even suggest a cause?
but its not a deal breaker unless thers significant interior cracks or hillside water table issues.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back