PB around bath. Remove old tiles or tile over?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have plasterboard around my bath which has existing tiles on it.
the tiles only go half way up the wall.
I want to re-tile to the ceiling.

What are the dangers of removing tiles from plasterboard for re-tiling?

If i were to tile over the existing tiles, is there a max weight of tiling the plasterboard can take? (the old tiles are quite thick)

the plasterboard wall is an inner wall which i am fairly sure has stud fastenings

Sponsored Links
likely that half the plasterboard will come away when you try and remove the existing tiles. You may also have an issue if you want to tile over the existing tiles to the ceiling, in that you'll need to tile above your existing tiles and then tile over the whole surface with your new tiles - you might have an issue getting the same thickness.

easiest solution would be to cut out the plasterboard and replace with a new piece - its cheap and easily sourceable from the big sheds.

also worthwhile considering repalcing with aqua panel or a cement board if you have a shower over the bath or at least tanking the area prior to tiling

gin - consider overtiling the existing, apply a row of border tiles (or similar) to take-up the thickness discrepancy at the top of the existing, then continue tiling up the virgin wall to the ceiling. Yes, you'll have 2 levels of tiles but the interface between them will be a border tile.

Sponsored Links
Has the plasterboard been skimmed?
Even if the tiles are directly onto the board with no skim I would try removing them,as already mentioned replacing the plasterboard is cheap and fairly simple if it comes to it.

best way to test the plasterboard is take a run up, around 10 - 12 meters and slam yourself into it, if the tiles go into the wall then youll need to replace it, if they dont move you shoudl be fine and they will come off easily with no mess, when you do the run up make sure its a minimum 10 meters, you may need to start from the bottom of the stairs, make sure there isnt a skateboard on it or any other comedy items that will make you fall down, then run at your top speed and see how it goes.

tommorow how to test roof tiles.

:cool:

Jess lay off the funny fags,you've lost the plot :LOL: ,10 meters is no where near enough of a run up,I would say in my experince of running into walls you need at least 15 meters and if it were my tiling they would fall off before you hit the wall ;)

Jef, joking aside, what's changed for you in the last 6 months? You've changed and are now posting like you've a screw loose.

Jef, joking aside, what's changed for you in the last 6 months? You've changed and are now posting like you've a screw loose.
Is it the economic climate :LOL:
I'd go with str's "easiest solution" & new PB but tank it or rip the whole lot down & use a tiles backer board instead.

im the same old me mr GC just seems to be less moderation on my posts lately!

:LOL:

thanx for the tips guys.
i spoke to a few other people who mostly had the same opinion, remove the tiled PB sections and replace with new PB and then tile.
I had no idea PB could be so easily replaced :eek:

I also found another forum thread that claimed that PB had a max tile weight of ~ 20kg / sqM hence 'tiling over' would be even more risky.

As for testing the existing tiles with a run up :D LOL not possible from the position of the bathroom and the tiled sections within.
How about i invite a bull into the bathroom, shut the door and insult his mother ???:p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back