PC Died

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My not so old PC has developed a problem. When I switch it on, nothing comes up on the monitor, I know the monitor works, as i'm using it now. tried it with another monitor and the same. It sounds as if it's powering up as usual. What could the problem be? Please don't get too techy.

Sponsored Links
video card ??? is it onboard ?? if so disable in bios and test with another pci or agp card.

How old is not so old?

All fans running, drives powering up?

I've got a 3 year old PC in the workshop with the same problem. CMOS battery was dead. It might be worth checking, which will also reset the CMOS when u take it out, so 2 birds etc.

2face said:
video card ??? is it onboard ?? if so disable in bios and test with another pci or agp card.
The OP requested a non-techy response.

What 2face means is you need to look where your monitor plugs into the back of the PC.

Does it plug into a plug on the left hand side, where there is a cluster of different coloured plugs where the mouse plugs in etc?

OR does it plug in to a plug on its own, maybe with one more, nearer the bottom?

Sponsored Links
crafty1289 said:
2face said:

What 2face means is you need to look where your monitor plugs into the back of the PC.

Does it plug into a plug on the left hand side, where there is a cluster of different coloured plugs where the mouse plugs in etc?

OR does it plug in to a plug on its own, maybe with one more, nearer the bottom?

Glad we cleared that one up. :D

crafty1289 said:
2face said:

It plugs in at the top, must admit my daughter mentioned that it might be the cable, not sure if she checked it. i'll ask

Igorian said:
How old is not so old?

I've got a 3 year old PC in the workshop with the same problem. CMOS battery was dead. It might be worth checking, which will also reset the CMOS when u take it out, so 2 birds etc.

CMOS???

grant.mackay said:
Igorian said:
How old is not so old?

CMOS???

Inside the system unit you will find a large circuit board (motherboard) and somewhere on it, there will be a battery which looks like a small silver disk. Remove it from it's holder and measure the voltage. More often than not, the battery is a Casio type CR2032 and it should measure 3.3V. If it is completely dead, it can prevent some motherboards from booting. Generally, they are good for 5 years, but I have seen them fail much earlier.

The battery powers CMOS memory, which is used to hold the basic settings of your system.

Replace the Power supply, it has more than likely lost it's 5v output, but still supplies 12v, this is why you will hear the hard disc drives spinning up, the motherboard will use 5v and 3.3v for all of it's needs.

The power supply will be held in by 4 screws, a replacement can be brought from around £15 upwards, as long as the PC is not a Dell or HP/Compaq.

Do you get any beeps when powering up?

Probably get 1 beep,so do you get more than one?

see this is my problem and i bought a new computer from pc world and it happened again. I think it might be to do with the electrics?? causing damage to the mother board. Is this poss?

+++++++++++++++
Mack, welcome to the Forum.
The cause may be different. It is better not to add your problem to an existing post (please see Forum Rules, 1a and 20).
I see you have started your own post //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=457896&highlight=#457896
(plus the duplicate which i have locked)

Mod Rupert
+++++++++++++++

Sponsored Links
Back