PC Format

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an 8 year old pc that had become very slow, wouldn't accept usb connections and would not shut down correctly. It hadn't been used for about 3 months but i have some time on hands this week so decided to tackle it yesterday. It's a mesh system and i still have all the back up disks it came with. I found a website that explained how to format and i followed it word for word. I used my recovery disc and booted from disk, i then deleted all partitions and reinstalled windows. After that i reinstalled motherboard drivers and then other drivers off disks that i had. I took a couple of hours doing windows updates and installed norton 360 prem edition. It's working super fast now, almost to good to be true. Just a little bit concerned that i may of over looked something. If my system had virus previously would i have of removed it ??? and is there anything else that i may need to do..

Sponsored Links
Gotta admit, i've surprised myself. Was expecting to be taking it up the tip today after f**king it up but it appears ok. Still doesn't turn off though. Goes through the shut down process and just as it should switch off it reboots itself. I've unticked the box in settings that makes it reboot but no different.

I have had the auto-restart instead of shut down problem with several PCs, and a work-around is to press and hold the power button when it starts to reboot. That should cause it to shut it down. Also, whenever I am installing or reinstalling the operating system, I *always* install antivirus software before connecting to the internet. Doing it the other way around means that your PC is open to attack.

Sponsored Links
Well done for trying, most people dont bother and instead get even more bogged down with reg cleaners and all other similar apps thinking that its going to ride in on a white horse and wave a magic wand over the PC, sadly these people are very mistaken

Next time you see a thread on here advising of such action dont forget to inform of how easy you found your experiance and how the difference between a fresh install and a semi fixed reg cleaned PC is not comparible

Hats off to ya!!!!

One point about it rebooting on shutdown, do you have Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.0 or Direct CD 5.0 program installed on your computer. If so uninstall it and try a shut down.
Or follow the instructions under Resolution in this link:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320299

dave

I've already unticked the auto restart button and no roxio software on pc. I been looking through forums for a couple of days now at similar posts but can't seem to sort it. It started a few months back after i had taken a look in the bios but not sure what i did. Was hoping the format would cure it. When i do a shut down i wait untill the point that it would normally switch off then pull the plug. When i plug it back in it switches on automatically without me touching power button..

Back