pc keeps turning it's self off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys/girls

the problem is that my pc shuts down if I go on youtube or webcam or used media player.. or if my AVG is into 20 mins of pc scan..

when I try and restart it, it says pc too hot... all fans are working inside ( I've checked ) but I have noticed the bit where you plug the main cable in get warm.. even tho the fan is going..

any ideas ..thank in advance

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Cooling fans lose efficiency, they get a build up of dust on the leading edge of the blades.
CPU heat sinks also get clogged with dust, remove cpu fan then use dry paint brush to brush the dust off the heat sink, clean cpu fan in similar way, (brushing dust off the fan blades) and reassemble, also worth doing is the PSU fan, (same method) make sure all case louvers are clean to, for a healthy circulation of air within the case.

for the benifit of a geordie ;)

heatsink4.jpg

black bit is the fan

silver bit is the heat sink

underneath them is the c p u :LOL:

Can of compressed air will help, but will make a fair bit of mess. If it still shuts down, then you may need some thermal paste between the heat sink and processor. You only apply a very very fine layer though.

Download HWMonitor which will give you temp readings across any sensors.

thanks guys cleaned everything, and it's working fine now.

took the heat sink thing out and cleaned it, I thought it was black, there was that much crap around it lol

cheers :)

When you say took it out I hope when you put it back in you put new thermal grease on the cpu!!!!! :!:

Worth getting the CPU/heatsink cleaner too, then you can apply a nice neat layer for good heat transfer. The silver paste is pretty good stuff.

I've used CPU cleaning wipes in the past, but not sure if they're on Maplin site.

oops never put anything on, but I never touched the end of it and never touched the other bit.. so what ever was on should still be on ( I hope )

it's working ok so far, but will get some grease tomorrow and put some on.

cheers

I wouldn't use it till then, you might be safe for a while but thats a real good way of borking your rig up!

Sponsored Links
Back