PC wont turn on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My PC went off unexpectedly and now wont turn back on. When I try to turn it on the case lights up for half a second but that’s it. There seems to be power as the fans will start to turn, then stop. There is also a power light on a usb splitter which is plugged in the back.

I was thinking it was a power problem but if the case lights up and the fans spin then it must have power.

Anything else it could be?
What could I try?

I have uploaded a clip here if it helps:

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Did you get this sorted? I suspect a faulty psu, fairly straight forward to replace.

unplug it, open the case, push all cards back into the slots, also the ram.
fiddle with the fan, blow dust, unplug all hard drives. try turn it on.

if that fails, unplug it again, remove the video card and all drives.
turn it on and listen for the beeps to indicate it getting further than before.

Then look into the psu being faulty.

Unplug from power.
Remove RAM
Remove CPU
Reset CMOS
Re-insert CPU
Re-insert RAM
If this doesn't resolve, more than likely the actual BIOS chip has failed.

Possible try removing and re-inserting the BIOS chip (CAREFULLY!!)... as last resort, can work sometimes but always leaves the question of why did the BIOS go la-la in the first place.

Sponsored Links
Ensure when handling the chips that you do not damage them with static electricity that might have built up on your body and/or clothing.

An anti-static wrist strap is a sensible precaution when working with chips

https://uk.farnell.com/vermason/229873/wrist-strap-adj-1-8m-blue/dp/2399585

There are many other suppliers/

Sound advice... I didn't want to go into too much detail... ;)
But by and large IME ... if fans/lights come on but no action after resetting CMOS and re-seating CPU.... the bios or mobo is toast - quite rare for the CPU to fry (again IME)
Will tend to be an uneconomic repair....
If failure is something of that magnitude, what caused it to fail?
Long story short... sell for spares/repairs.. and buy a new one....

If RAM suddenly borked then likely mobo at fault, possible fatal damage to both RAM and mobo.. causality.
If Video card borked then would would not shut down.. PC would run with black screen.. easy test is to plug video cable into on-board video-out

Upon re-reading and looking at the video clip, concur that is likely PSU issue given that powers up but then dies... the fans aren't spinning.. that is just a brief power surge.
Question is whether or not faulty PSU has borked the motherboard... took me a while to work this out for myself (the expensive way!)... I won't use cheap PSU's for builds anymore (ie. a '600w' for under £20 on the 'bay) as when they go bad they can take everything else with it.. false economies come back to bite you in the derriere, and then some! :-/

More info or update from the OP would help...

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back