PC pat cable

Or a cheap one which does - it might be worth a punt if it's cheap enough.

True. Be hard to beat the price I got mine for though.

Let's not lose perspective here - this is a PAT downloading some data, not a disk drive. As long as the data doesn't get corrupted, then does it matter if it's a bit slow?

I believe the point plugwash was raising was more of a compatibility issue. Poorly written software (ie. just about all proprietary software) may not be able to cope with the added latency.

Sponsored Links
Could always try the free s/w option - run Linux and do a cat /dev/{whatever} > datafile.txt ...

:D

Could always try the free s/w option - run Linux and do a cat /dev/{whatever} > datafile.txt ...

:D
I'd expect something like a pat tester to only speak when it's spoken to so this would probablly acheive absoloutely nothing.

Easy enough to intercept the commands and figure out how to do it properly.

Sponsored Links
Thakns again, A couple of points tho checking the voltage, where other than the pins mentioned do I apply the volts,Do I apply 12v to the case and one pin and read the voltage at the other pin, Coms port my tester is defaulted to coms port 3 but lead comes up as 6 on the pc Now my knowledge of computers is limited to what I need to know So this is a bit of info I will need to look into, any pointers
Devlin

I cant comment on other PAT testers but my MPAT 10 needs only 3 connections Ground, Data send, and Busy. I made my own cable and it works fine into a dongle. The actual data rate will be in your PAtester manual, mine is 1200 bd. You may need to set your COM port if it doesnt detect automatically.

Thakns again, A couple of points tho checking the voltage, where other than the pins mentioned do I apply the volts,Do I apply 12v to the case and one pin and read the voltage at the other pin, Coms port my tester is defaulted to coms port 3 but lead comes up as 6 on the pc Now my knowledge of computers is limited to what I need to know So this is a bit of info I will need to look into, any pointers
Devlin

.. You don't apply anything. You measure the voltage between the pins I indicated.

You'll need to configure whatever software your PAT tester uses to use the correct COM port. I can't tell you how to do that.

Sorted the cable from easysync works a treat I had the guy talk me through the driver install all device manager lpt what nots and a few other bits of klingon. works on Vista and 7 so thats me sorted, one other tale was testing a dishwasher the other day and got a flash bang from the socket on the tester my own fault my assitant had not checked the plug yet and I jumped the gun, any way it defaulted the tester to factory settiings, I restarted it and selected my own settings and carried on and today could not find any tests after the day in question I missed the fact that the date had jumped to 2199 so when I entered the search dates it found nowt you can guess the relieve I felt when I discovered that. I thought I had lost 600 od tests :oops:

Now you've got a cable, no excuse for not dumping the contents every night.

Anyway - if you had lost them you could have just made them up, like some testers do... :LOL:

Good to know of a reliable source for these adapters. I might buy a few.

E: Ooo, they have 3.3V TTL ready-made cables.

Absolutly BAS to both laptops and at the end of the week to a seperate back drive still I suppose once the initial shock wears off complacency will creep in, and your dead right I knew a guy who sat at home and did tests then went to the job with stickers ,He got caught when a table lamp shorted and singed a brand new carpet the insurance company realised the test records for the hotel room bore no relevance to the items in the room: result the insurance company paid up as it was an accident but the guy lost about 1000 tests a year then word got round, he has a window cleaning round now.
Devlin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back