USB to Phono Plug.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this isn't really electrical but the PC forum is usually deserted and you guys usually know everything anyway. (creep, creep, :LOL: )

My problem is as follows;
my grand daughter has an i-teddy which uses a USB to 3.5mm phono jack to charge the batteries and download new cartoons from the i-teddy website. However the lead has snapped right behind the jack and there is no way to rejoin the cable. I have a spare usb lead with red, black, white, green leads and the shielding braid. I also have an old set of headphones from an MP3 player with the same jack on them.
Can I make a new lead, if so what colours should I connect and to what do I connect them?
i.e. pair up the black and white to one jack lead and red and green to the other and disregard the braiding or some other combination.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
(Will also post on PC forum just in case there is someone there, ;) )

Sponsored Links
You'll probably find the "headphone jack" you have is wrong, as it'll only have 3 connectors (left, right, ground) where as USB will require 4 (D+, D-, +V, ground).

As it's not really a standard type of cable, it's doubtful anyone will be able to tell you what to connect where (unless they have one). Have you tried contacting the manufacturer for a replacement?

It isn't as simple as guesswork, see if you can work out which cable connects to where in the old cable.
USB has 5v, 0v and 2 data connections so connecting it up wrong might damage your PC or even worse, the iteddy :LOL:
You may even find there are more components in the lead than a straight through connection.
Best bet is to get onto the manufacturers and see if they offer a replacement.

Thanks for the replies lads.
My daughter contacted them a few weeks ago and they want £14.95 plus p&p so she came to daddy for a quick fix, (cheap more like it! :LOL: ).
Unfortunately daddy can't help this time so she will have to fork out for one.
(Yeah right! I know who will end up paying for it, "But dad, she's your first grand daughter and its getting near Christmas and I haven't got any money, blub, blub, just look at her sad face......")

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Thanks anyway guys.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back