Audio output help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to connect some headphones to my 19" bedroom tv, but alas it has no 3.5mm jack or Phono audiop output. It has a scart, but this has no audio output connection either(as far as i can find). The only thing it has is a DVD DIGITAL AUDIO OUT connection. But im pretty sure this cannot be used as a simple headphone output, without an expnesive processor or similar box of tricks. SO my question is, is it safe to say that the SCART connection on the TV will only have the INPUT connections wired in......or is it possible that i have the wrong scart leads. the scart lead i was using is a SCART to 3 Phono (with a input/output switch on the scart plug itself that i have used well before as an audio output from a VCR)

Sponsored Links
Major TV brands are pretty good at labeling their TV sockets as to whether they are an input only or an in/out socket. The nomenclature for an in/out is a double ended arrow on a box. You can also check the user manual for the functionality of each socket.

However, a line output isn't going to be that much use to drive headphones. Apart from the signal level being wrong the biggest problem will be a lack of volume control. Line outputs tend to be at a fixed level. That's no good for direct headphone use I'm afraid. If you manage to get line out signal then you'll need a headphone amp: This is cheap enough and will do the trick.

does it have more than one scart, if so, try that, some TVs only have in/out on one scart, the others been purely inputs

It is true that some scart leads are not fully connected some carry just a/v in/out or even just in but it is irrelavent as the scart connections do not output an amplified audio signal it is a fixed low signal only suitable for an audio amplifier input.If you tv is a 19" then I would assume it is an old crt type therefore it would be easier to pick up a second hand one possibly for free off a freecycle website or at worst pay a tenner for it making sure it has a headphone jack output on it.

Sponsored Links
DO you have any kind of HiFi or music system in the same room, which does have a headphone socket?

If so, look on Maplin for a SCART - phono lead, take the audio output from the phonos, plug in to 'Tape in' or 'Aux in' on the HiFi, and control volume from there.

If not, get the lead from Maplin, and look for a headphone amplifier that will take Phono in and drive your headphones, or buy a second-hand HiFi amp with Aux in and Headphone socket, and use that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back