pc problem (antivirus change)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i was just woundering if any one could help me out here. i had avast as my antivirus on my pc. and then someone told me norton was better. so i tryed to download it witch wiped half of my avast off but wont let me get rid of the rest of it and wont let me put it back on either! i have got avg4free on at the moment but the avast keeps wipeing it off ever couple of days. could any one give me some addvice on how to get the avast back on please?

Sponsored Links
For a start, had you paid for Norton, or if not, I suspect that it is not Norton but where did you get the download from because it is not free. What version and what part of Norton was it?

Try Norton Removal Tool to see if that will shift what Norton you have.

Download Revo Uninstaller
Rememer that in the final clean up only delete entries in bold type

Use Revo to remove the Avast and also the AVG that you have. If the Avast icon does not show on the Revo page then you may have to download it again so that Revo can remove it.

Once you have shifted all traces of all three then try a download of whichever security program you have decided to use. If it fails to work then post back.

dave

ps Norton is NOT better than Avast.

Just for information or as an opinion since advice on the cure has been given.

It can be important to remove all traces of one AV program (or firewall) before installing another. Maybe it was a Norton trial that was installed? This would probably have worked OK if the computer had been clean of all traces of Avast before the installation.

Norton is pretty good in my opinion, I went for NIS 2009 this year and so far, all is well. Unlike earlier versions, the latest ones are very light on the computer. The lightest of any similar program available at present I believe. You'd need to do the reading to confirm that though.

The only criticism I'd make is that an update to make part of the program compatible with Firefox 3.5 was slow in arriving. I hope the slow update problem might be resolved by the time Firefox 3.6 comes along.

Sponsored Links
it was a norton free trial that i tryed to download. im not sure witch one it was as i carnt fined it anywhere on my pc. ive downloaded the revo uninstaller and run that but it wouldnt remove avg so i got all that wipe in end up but it still wont let me get avast back? when i try to download avast again it says ive got another antivirus on pc. got anymore ideas?

It sounds a bit like some local help could be what's needed. Do you know anyone who is reliably good with computers? Being there with the computer can be better and two heads are better than one sometimes.

Do a system restore to the day before you downloaded the Norton Free Trial.

ive tryed ever one i know to give me a hand but had no joy! ive also tryed to restore it back to b4 i put the norton on and that didnt work either.

but it wouldnt remove avg so i got all that wipe in end up but it still wont let me get avast back?

What do you mean by the bit about that wipe?

What operating system are you using, XP or Vista?

Do a search to find where the Norton went to, and did it install or was it just the downloaded installer that you have. If just the installer, find the folder and delete it.

Is the AVG fully functional or not working because it is not properly installed. If the latter, download it again and install it. Then use Revo to completely remove it. Revo can only remove a program if it is fully installed.

Then look in My Computer -> C:/Program files for a folder named Symantec, if there delete it. Look for a folder named Avast, and another named AVG, if there, delete them.

Download Ccleaner.
Instructions here:
CCLEANER Setup Instructions
Run it to clean out any traces.

Then try a fresh download of Avast and try to install that

I don't understand the problem.

Have you downloaded and run the Norton Removal tool yet?

I don't understand the problem.

John,
Like you, I do not know what has been done and am playing in the dark until gazmac can answer a few questions and tell us what is actually happening.

dave
;)

ill try my best to anaswer. to tell you the truth this whole internet thing is kind of new to me only been on line since feb!!! im running on xp. i try to install this norton about 2 months ago as dave said b4 about ckecking c progmams ive dun that and got rid of norton. but under c program there is a file called awiwil witch is avast but wont let me delete it can you help???

Have you downloaded and run the Norton Removal tool yet?

.... under c program there is a file called awiwil witch is avast but wont let me delete it can you help???
When you are in Windows Explorer and try to delete this, what does the error message say? (exact wording please)

Did you originally do what it says here? http://www.avast.com/eng/faq-installation-problems.html

"Q: How can I uninstall avast!?

A: You can uninstall avast! just as any other software - using ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS in Control Panel. If any problem appears, use the avast! uninstall utility http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-uninstall-utility.html "

Sponsored Links
Back