PC Shutting Down Just After Boot-up

Sponsored Links
If it is the PSU as several people suggest, I would just replace it first prior to taking it for repair. It is simple enough to do.

We had a micro power cut last Sunday where both computers switched off. Her computer started fine, but mine got to the windows loading screen then the BSOD appeared for a millionth of a second before the computer tried to restart. When it had done this twice it loaded the "Windows failed to start" and gave options to start in safe mode, last known good configuration etc,
Turns out the power cut had corrupted a file used by windows and it wouldn't start. Had to re-install windows to get it running again and as a result, have lost loads of stuff. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Sponsored Links
To the OP - when you say the machine "shuts down" after booting, do you mean the operating system instigates a proper shut down procedure, or the machine drops straight to a restart?

Have you checked the event logs? If you have multiple disc or disc controller errors in there, I would suspect either a crappy HDD or SATA cable, otherwise it does sound like a failing PSU.

Please post back and let us all know what the PC repair shop found.

The repair shop had it on test for three days, and the fault continued intermittently. They said could be motherboard, but with the cost of the testing and the prospect of new parts (which would probably come to more than I'd paid for it), and the fact that I bought it reconned 4 years ago with XP Home, I decided to go for a new system with Windows 7.

They did an excellent job getting all my old stuff transferred and setting me up, so I'm pleased with the outcome. The only moan I have is that I don't like the fonts on 7, and some of the letters, particularly w look weak and faint on some forums (although not this one since I downloaded Lucida Grande font).

Anyway, thanks for all your comments.

Cheeky gits. ;)

If you go into the control panel and fonts, you can adjust the font rendering, see if you get something acceptable. I've never managed to get it quite how I like it, though.

Sponsored Links
Back