PC/Windows will not shut down

str

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an issue in that my PC will not shut down fully and I have to power off by holding down the power button.

This means that it will not install updates as its not shutting down properly.

Any ideas? It has Windows XP.

Sponsored Links
Best to look on the M$ website, but it is probably / possibly a non responsive service that is failing to notify that it has shutdown.

A little more info would be handy as there are several possibilities.

Do you get a ' It is now safe to turn off your computer' message when you shut down ?

Have you recently installed XP ?

Do you get any other error messages ?

Have you installed any new software of late ?

thanks for the prompt responses

XP has been on the PC since we bought it a couple of years ago
no other error messages
we go through the usual process of shutting down via the start menu and the PC used to off power itself once shut down (it doesnt do this anymore)
no new software aprt from a new printer driver but the problem existed before this.

Sponsored Links
Boxclevasorry about the duplicate post - slightly different header as I thought I had found the cause, should have just edited the subject!

Anyway, its now coming up with a ccSvcHst.exe - Application Error window, which says "The instruction at "0x69532997" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate.

This pops up when I try to shut down with the broadband connected (or even un-connected but with the cable plugged in)

tried to search on microsoft support pages, but doesn't recognise the error.

as its talking about memory, could this be in reference to an external harddrive we had conencted - I only have it connected to the PC when I am backing up files?

Thanks for any help

Have a look in the event viewer (START>RUN and type eventvwr and press ENTER)

Check the logs for errors and report back.

Do you have a Norton product installed?

Your problem could be associated with Norton as the file ccSvcHst.exe is installed by Norton products. If you do not have Norton then it is possible spyware or trojan.

If you do have Norton I would try uninstall from add remove programs then run Norton removal tool Here. Reboot your computer then reload your anti virus application etc.

Edit: Too slow :LOL:

I do have a Norton Product on the PC so will try this when I get home.

Ideal - thanks again for the prompt responses

Sponsored Links
Back