Start up problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Advice or help much appreciated please.
My PC is slow starting up and when it does a windows message appears saying that my settings have not been saved from previous shut down.
When I try to open an application, example MS Word it then reconfigures the application and carrys on as normal.
It will not save my wallpaper settings etc. when I shut down. Once the PC is up and running everything seems fine.
The PC is a Compaq Presario, Windows XP, 512MB ram, 2800Mhz.
I regularly scan for viruses and none have shown up.
I have tried the Compaq and Windows``help desks''....say no more.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Try using UPHclean from microsoft, it may clear up any registry errors that are preventing a clean saving on shutdown by making sure all applications using resources shut down properly and release them.

UPHclean

Tim, thanks for the reply.
Is it just a question of loading this software and let it take its course or should I seek expert advice at a pc repair shop.
Thanks again.

The exact message I get when starting up is....``Windows cannot load the locally stored profile. Possible causes of this error are insufficent security rights. Windows cannot find the locally stored profile''

I have tried the website that Tim suggested but I am not sure what to do. Any ideas please??

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you have a corrupt profile.

Boot windows as normal and log in as Administrator, assuming it is not the Administrator account you are using. Do you get errors this way?

Scarum, thanks for getting back.
To log on I just switch the PC and it boots up. I don,t use a password like a work PC.
It keeps saying cannot find locally stored profile.
Any help much appreciated.
Thanks again.

Hi willa
good advice scarum, if it don't work it may be your cmos battery (this is what holds all your initial boot up preferences ie wallpaper desktop etc) you'll have to google for more info about this for your pc
bazza

Hi willa
good advice scarum, if it don't work it may be your cmos battery (this is what holds all your initial boot up preferences ie wallpaper desktop etc) you'll have to google for more info about this for your pc
bazza

I am 99.9% sure this doesn't have anything to do with the CMOS battery.

If you can create a new account (logged in as admin) that would be the first step.

The second step would be to transfer all your documents, other settings over to the new account. But if the account you automatically log onto is the Administrator then this is pretty bad! And you should never use the Admin account as your main day to day account

Hi willa
bazza

The CMOS battery has nothing to do with initial O/S settings.

Willa said:
The exact message I get when starting up is....``Windows cannot load the locally stored profile. Possible causes of this error are insufficent security rights. Windows cannot find the locally stored profile''

I have tried the website that Tim suggested but I am not sure what to do. Any ideas please??

Thanks again.

See this.

bazza.a said:
it may be your cmos battery (this is what holds all your initial boot up preferences ie wallpaper desktop etc)
I'm not as polite as Igorian, and you're absolutely nuts.

cmos battery. FFS. :rolleyes:

start > run > msconfig.
Go to the startup tab and get shut of anything you DONT want running at startup.

If you have norton, get rid.

defrag.

Sponsored Links
Back