PCMasters Cold Telephone Call

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a rather annoying Cold Telephone call today from a guy with a heavy Asian accent. He proclaimed to have had forwarded to him an error report that my Laptop had downloaded to Microsoft and details of the error suggested I had a Trogen virus causing all sorts of slowing down problems and my Laptop was about to catestrophically fail as this virus was infecting more and more of my memory. He then suggested he could save my Laptop and asked if he could take control of my laptop remotely and show me how he could fix the problem.
I immediatly had Alarm bells ringing as I had no idea who he was or what he could do, if he had control of my Laptop over the internet. so I naturally refused to co-operate with his suggestion of controlling my Laptop. He was very insistent on trying to convice me that he was genuine by asking me to display a website on my PC which showed his authenticity. This of course prooves nothing as he could be any one from any where.
The WebSite claimed to be PCMasters and was probably genuine but in fact he was trying to sell me in a very insistent manner some Security Software at £80 which would save my Laptop from catestrophic failure.
Very naughty tactics I think as he claimed that this software protected my laptop from viruses that Kaspersky, MacAfee, Norton etc could not. Again a claim I doubt. Another naughty tactic was that even if he had been forwarded an error report from my PC (which I doubt) that error report would not contain my telephone number,
So the point of my mail is that our community should be aware of this type of scare sales and maybe this mail should be put on the General discussion Forum. What do you Software guys think and have you any knowledge of PC Masters?

Sponsored Links
Thanks Spark123.
I searched for a lead before posting but didn't find one. Thanks for the link. Some people are very scared of Viruses quite rightly, but always be on guard on Cold Calls.
B*****ds!! the Lot of 'em.

Sponsored Links
Back