PD/Planning/Neighbour Consultation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After a bit of advice (what else!?)

We're looking to get a basic conservatory on the back of the house (~3m from back of house) - no services inside, the current exterior door will be retained and open into the conservatory.

The top down view gives a rough idea of the layout:
View media item 97789
We've been advised that no permissions are required (aside from buildings regs if we install any services and fensa) as it falls under PD...does this sound right and do we need to undertake formal neighbour consultation - the builder seems keen to crack on and is talking about kicking off in early June - obviously neighbour consultation requires 21 days so that puts June out of the window if required...

Sponsored Links
Sorry I should add that this is a detached property...

My understanding of it is that the neighbour consultation scheme only applies if your proposed building is attatched to the original house.

I would ignore what the builder says because my neighbour built an extension on his builders advice only for it to get refused because it was attached to an extension. He applied under the consultation scheme during the build for some reason.

Perhaps it is valid under PD though? I think you can get a ruling from the council saying it is valid.

From what I can see the consultation applies if the extension extends more than 4 metres from the wall of the house (and less than:cool:.

Sponsored Links
From what I can see the consultation applies if the extension extends more than 4 metres from the wall of the house (and less than:cool:.

Correct but that 4 metres will be measured from the original rear wall of the house so that will be the 3 metres of the proposed conservatory PLUS however deep that 1997 extension is, I suspect more than 1 metre.

Where is everybody today? Normally the regular crew would have nailed this hours ago.

Where is everybody today? Normally the regular crew would have nailed this hours ago.
Lol - yeah!

I take it if the conservatory is wider that the existing extension you still go from the wall distance from where the existing extension started and not from where the conservatory meets the original structure of the house?

The rear wall of the house is the entire rear elavation not just the wall furthest to the back, so in your case that staggered arrangement of the original house. Your 4 metre allowance follows that staggered line.

I'm not explaining it very well but if you look at the technical guidance it makes it much clearer.

Ah OK - so we'd be OK if the conservatory zig-zagged to follow 4m from the rear of the property :-/

That would not be permitted development as the conservatory + the '97 extension would presumably be more than 4m deep when measured from the original (inset) house wall.

Also, although the Prior Notification scheme allows up to 8m projection for a detached house, it does not apply when work has already begun. For Planning purposes, the council would count the '97 extension + the conservatory as one extension. As part of it has already been built (ie the '97 bit) they would say you are applying retrospectively, and that is specifically not allowed under the scheme.

Sorry, but a formal planning application is the way to go. It's quite likely you would get approval for this - being a detached -
but of course there is the 8-week delay.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back