Pebbledash render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Can anyone give me an idea of the cost of having pebbledash render taken off and replaced. Its a mates house and its a semi-detached two-storey house - its approximately 5.3m wide front and back and 7.3m deep. approximately 5m to eaves and is brick upto 900mm high so 4.1m of render above that (obviously less window/door openings!). He's contacted three people locally, first quoted 4k plus scaffolding costs, the second turned up to look and said he'd sub-contract it, but it turned out he'd sub-contract it to the first guy and the third person never turned up! Does 4k sound about right?

Sponsored Links
When I got quotes for my 3 bed semi on the outskirts of London I was quoted between £3k and £4k.
There was no hacking off involved though, which could be pretty labour intensive, depending on whether or not it's still well attached to the masonry.
You might expect to pay a bit less for labour in Derby's compared to London though, but I wouldn't think that was too bad a price.

Is your mate aware that building control can insist that you upgrade with external insulation if you hack off and re-render?
I don't think this applies if you go over what's existing...might not be an option if badly blown though...

Front, rear, gable!....and hacking off the existing....sounds not far off the mark to me.
And if he is using polymers he is doing well.
The majority of the work is hacking off and prep work, depends how easy the existing is to remove.

Why is he removing the existing render?

Ronny - the old 'oppurtunity for improvement' regulation - no, he probably isn't aware of that - should the guy pricing the rendering have explained that to him?

Alastair - for the uneducated amongst us - what are 'polymers' in relation to rendering? Not that it makes much difference but its a hipped roof so there's no gable as such - saves an extra 2m+ of height on the side elevation. I'm not 100% sure of his reasons for re-doing it, as far as i know its starting to drop off in places and cracking in others. He lives in quite an exposed place so it needs to be in good nick to protect the house from the wind and rain. He and I have no idea if the quote is reasonable, as he's only been able to get one quote so has nothing to compare it with! Sounds like its not a bad price though.

Sponsored Links
Ronny - the old 'oppurtunity for improvement' regulation - no, he probably isn't aware of that - should the guy pricing the rendering have explained that to him?

Well, you would hope that a knowledgable tradesman might inform a client before they go ahead with a job that is in breach of regulations...
Having said that, none of the people who quoted for me told me of this regulation.
However, having read a couple of threads on here, there have been occasions where Building Control have made people's lives very difficult in this situation.

In the end I decided to patch the existing and give it a fresh coat of paint. Saved me £2500 and I'm more than happy with the result.

This thread makes interesting reading...

i now every things sorted now but if most of the dash is solid and you have to patch less than 20% of the original you could have used weatherbys one coat overdash gear,no beads,just a cover up ,anyways £4000 about right to dash in polys,but the hack off an scaff would be down to you,you only get what you pay for!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back