Pedestal Trap Help!

D

Deleted2797112

Having a bad DIY day. Found a rain leak in the loft and then........

Bathroom sink seemed to be emptying v. slow so unscrewed the pop-up plug to check and clean if necessary. Managed to lose the arm with the loop on down the waste. Didn't think it would be a big deal to unscrew the trap, retrieve the arm and replace the trap. Well, several hours and bruised hands later and I still haven't managed to get the trap back on.

Does anyone have any suggestions (apart from calling a plumber - can't afford normal rates, never mind Chrsitmas call-out at the moment). The problem I'm having is with the lower end of the trap - the waste pipe it needs to push on to has up and down play in it so I can't push firmly. And the top edge of the waste pipe is just below the back edge of the ceramic pedestal and there's not enough room to get both hands to get a good enough grip the waste pipe and the trap. It's horribly awkward, there's only a few inches between the back of the pedestal and the wall and I can only get at it from one side wiggling in between the toilet and pedestal because the bath is on the other side. The trap is one of these:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-pedestal-trap-32mm-white/30503?_requestid=745209

Is there something that plumbers use for holding pipes in awkward positions - I'm happy to buy a tool if necessary, hopefully cheaper than a plumber. Or any other tips for fixing it?

Many thanks!

ETA - I did actually retrieve the pop-up arm and put it back together again!

Sponsored Links
You have to try an get the pedastal to twis under sink watch it they can break, maybe have to loosen the screws on basin underneath, then tighten and twist back pedstal.
Sounds easy , bit tricky thats all.
Hic' :LOL: ;)

Thanks for replying. I'm feeling a bit nervous about trying to swivel the pedestal if it might break. Not sure what to do now :(

Been having a search around - are plumbers pliers (I think that's what they're called) likely to be of any use to grip the waste pipe?

Sponsored Links
if it's the same trap as you posted it's not a push on trap you need to undo the nut slide this, the thin washer & the thick black rubber onto the pipe then put the pipe inside the trap & tighten the nut, although if you have been trying to push it on you will have pushed the black rubber right inside the trap which is why you can't get the pipe in there (best of luck getting that out now), why did you disconnect & remove the waste in the first place there won't have been a blockage in there

to make life a bit easier

slacken off the two fixing screws,
put your shoulder under the basin and gently push
up easing the pedestal out a few inches at the same time,

now let the weight of the basin rest back down on the pedestal,

fit the trap then reverse procedure

Been having a search around - are plumbers pliers (I think that's what they're called) likely to be of any use to grip the waste pipe?
Well there is a type of pliers that are really handy - plumbers waste pipe ones - I picked up a pair years ago but haven`t seen any since :confused: they`ve got like a pair of long curved pincers - one day I`ll learn how to upload pics. :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back