Peeling bathroom paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've read a lot of the older threads on this forum about issues with bathroom paint but I was hoping to get some specific guidance before I start.

We bought and moved into a terraced house last summer. I was always going to repaint the bathroom as the paint job didn't look very good with streaks in places and white showing through the top coat. Put it on my to-do list. A few months ago I noticed a small 'chalky' area where the paint would rub away and another patch or two where the paint was bubbling.

I've used a scraper to remove the bubbling paint and found that it is coming away in huge flakes revealing bare plaster. The bathroom was completely renovated in 2016 so it's not new plaster but I'm not sure if it ever had a mist coat if the paint is removing this easily.

I have contacted Zinsser and they recommend a coat of Peel Stop followed by Bullseye 123 as a sealer before a top coat. I have both of these products already so cost isn't an issue but I'm wondering if I need to do a mist coat on the plaster first or if the 123 replaces the need for a mist coat?

I intend to scrape off what paint I can followed by a light sanding but I'm not sure if I should then level it all with a thin layer of compound (like in this -
). If so at what stage would I need to use the 123/mist-coat? Over the top of the compound?

Ventilation is good; it's a large bathroom, a decent extractor and we always shave the window open when showering. I can't see any damp issues.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• Flakes.jpg
    Flakes.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Bubble_patch_scraped.jpg
    Bubble_patch_scraped.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 52
  • Bubble_patch.jpg
    Bubble_patch.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Chalky_patch.jpg
    Chalky_patch.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 49
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back