peeling paint in hallway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hallo,
read the peeling paint stuff already posted but as a useless diy-er cant make up my mind whether or not they apply to to me.

moved in, noticed peeling paint in some places, sanded it off, rollered over with matt emulsion and noticed it started bubbling almost immediately. previous ?_+*& owner probably did a quick hows your father to sell the place, now i am lumbered with sorting it out.

it is not peeling everywhere, just in some selected places - as example see picture. have no idea why or how to fix it. can anyone suggest what to do - i just want a white wall.

thanks a million

karaman

Sponsored Links
Here's your picture

What's on the other side of the wall, is it an external wall and is there any obvious signs of damp / moss / staining?

It does look as if there's moisture getting through.

I've seen paint go exactly like that when it's been applied over PVA...

Cheers
Richard

gerladthehamster - i have no idea what pva is.

chri5 - it is in the hallway and the black patch looks wet but it is just the plaster underneath i think. thats why i thought they used the wrong type of paint for the plaster?

how am i going to have to get all that whitewash off before i use the right type of paint?

cheers, karaman

Sponsored Links
PVA (Polyvinyl acetate) is a glue, whose uses include sealing old plaster that is to be skimmed. It's sometimes mistakenly used on plaster that is to be painted, and prevents the paint from adhering properly.

Cheers
Richard

Personally I'd scrape the bubbles off and smooth over the affected areas with general purpose filler and sand (only need a small amount) until seamless and then reapply the paint. If that's damp you're in trouble, although unlikely

thank you to
- geraldthehamster for explaining PVAand
-hawkeye244 for directions on what to do. much appreciated. as i already have this filler in the diy larder, wil get on with the job this coming weekend.

thanks again,

karaman

I use the no-nonsense stuff because you can pretty much slap it on if you're in a hurry and then use 60 or 80 grit to take it down nicely so it fades into the wall. Just from experience I've found that anything finer than 80 grit general takes ages to sand smooth, it just doesn't take enough off in each stroke. Try varying grades and see what works best for you

thank you hawkeye244, is used 80 - it did the job but what a finnicky job, took ages to get it right. luckily, its not damp, phew...! thanks again, karaman

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back