Pelmets chipping with a Chop Saw - Blade / Technique

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am trying to cut some high gloss pelmets. I am using a chop saw with a 40 teeth blade and its chipping it quite badly. If i invest in a 60t blade will that make a difference?

Also is there a technique to it? Do I turn the pelmets upside down and plunge the saw downwards through it? Or do I slide the saw out and then slide the saw backwards through it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What diameter blade are you using? 40t sounds like the sort of blade I'd use on softwood carcassing only unless it's a very small saw. For high gloss pelmets and cornice on my 250mm saw I generally fit a 72 t to 100t blade. Using a lower tooth count blade can work if you feed very slowly, but your blade must be sharp - if it isn't (as in you have done 5,000 cuts in softwood) then resharpen or replace it because a blunt blade never cuts well.

The only safe technique with a sliding compound mitre saw is to pull the head out drop the head then push it back towards the fence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Flat pelmet? Router cut.

Or masking tape prior to cutting to stop the chipping

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back