Table saw setup

I

imamartian

I have a table saw, and love it to bits... (in a non sexual way !!).. but it is a brilliant tool.

My problem though is changing it's settings... what i mean is, the handle to lower and raise the blade is a long threaded rod.... and i've had to change it once ... plus changing the angle of cut is a nightmare.... the markings on the table are huge and innaccurate.....

However, i could set them manually and put stickers on the saw...

So my question is, how do i set a table saw blade at 90deg, or 45deg? If i use a sliding bevel, the teeth on the saw get in the way !!!!

Sponsored Links
If you rotate the blade by hand , ever so slightly, you surely must find bits where the teeth of the blade would naturally miss the bevel gauge? (unless your using a blade with 60t or 80t)
The bevel gauge would then lie , touching only the thinnest part of the blade from the table right to where the teethe are attached to the blade (but missing them if you see what I mean) ;) ;)

Yep, agreed totally. And i've tried raising the blade fully and cutting through a piece of ply any turning it roung and cutting again... and rarely is it accurate.... so say i want to cut a mortice and tenon for a window frame..... it's not gonna fit !!!

Hmm. personally I wouldn't use a bevel gauge to mark 90° anyway. Have you tried using a square, that you know is 90° (fairly easy to check it is true) ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Hmm. personally I wouldn't use a bevel gauge to mark 90° anyway. Have you tried using a square, that you know is 90° (fairly easy to check it is true) ;) ;)

yep had problems with a square i bought from screwfix... which wasn't square... but do i line my square up against the blade, and avoid the teeth?

Get one of the little magnetic angle gauges, you stand it on the table and set to zero, then stick it on the blade and wind until it reads what you want then lock the saw in position. They work really well

http://www.machine-dro.co.uk/wixey-digital-angle-gauge-with-magnetic-base.html

saw_angle_2.jpg

Assuming the table saw is on a level base Jason. ;)
Wonder if they'd work if you zero'd them on the baseplate before changing the angle of the blade?? Then it wouldn't matter if the saw was slightly out of level. ;) ;)

Edit, just re-read your post. You do zero it on the base first.
Please forgive the senile wanderings of an old git. ;) ;) ;) ;)

Get one of the little magnetic angle gauges, you stand it on the table and set to zero, then stick it on the blade and wind until it reads what you want then lock the saw in position. They work really well

http://www.machine-dro.co.uk/wixey-digital-angle-gauge-with-magnetic-base.html

Thank-you so much Jason. That's exactly what i need. Just ordered one.

Just wish i'd known about these years ago !!

This is exactly why DIYnot can be a fantastic website.
(can you tell i'm chuffed :D )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back