Cornice/pelmet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I am fitting the cornice and pelmet to a newly fitted kitchen and wanted some advice on getting the neatest finish.

I am using an electric mitre saw and have put a new 80 tooth blade on.

It isn't cutting it as good as I thought and chips the edges sometimes.

My issue is joining them. Although they look fine when you walk into the kitchen, you can see the join if you get closer.

I'm sure that an experienced chippy would do a much better job, but how do they.

The Carpenter I have been using is busy for the next few weeks and I want the job finished, that is why I have decided to have a go.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
With an 80 tooth chop saw blade the finish should be good. What pattern teeth are they? What type of finish are you going for. If it's paint finish decorator's filler cover's a multitude of sins

Hi Harbourwoodwork.

It is a high gloss MDF finish.

I don't understand how I can use filler.

How do I find out what pattern teeth they are?

Thanks.

This is a bit of a tough one some fitter's carry a pot of tip ex ,you could try work top filler available in different colour's saw blades come in different pattern's rip, cross cut etc designed to be used on different products, a triple chip pattern with negative rake should do the job

Sponsored Links
I think HWW is referring to triple chip (TC) and alternate top bevel (ATB). Google the terms to see what your blade looks like

Are you using a puull-over (sliding) chop saw or a more basic saw?

tipex is a good idea ;) never used it but will get some for next time.

i usually use either decorators chalk or white silicone to join them together.

It's not just the chips that are bothering me it's also the slight gap between the joint. Is there something else that needs to be done after cutting.
Maybe. I normally glue my joints together on cornice and pelmets with Mitre Mate. If the joints aren't being fixed that way they'll never be right IMHO. Chipping can be indicative of a blade which is dull, the wrong blade, a blade with too many teeth, blade being used in the wrong direction (sliders need to be pulled out to the max, plunged down, then pushed back through the work), etc

I've seen the chippy using a palm planer on other things in the past.
It's not unusual to have to adjust a mitre joint with a properly adjusted, sharp BLOCK plane

The kitchen is a cream high gloss slab.

I tried a Jasmine colour silicone, but it doesn't cover it properly and it is almost identical in colour. I'll try some tipex, but I think it may stand out.

I am using mitre bond for the joints.

I haven't been using the saw in the way JobandKnock described. I will try that today.

It isn't a bad finish, but I would have liked it to be better, which I'm sure a Carpenter would have done.

Thanks for all the advice.

Why does everybody have to use powertools for all jobs. A good sharp fine tooth handsaw will cut the mitres clean.

Why does everybody have to use powertools for all jobs. A good sharp fine tooth handsaw will cut the mitres clean.
The main reasons that joiners use power tools are that they are both faster and more accurate. Cutting mitres with a hand saw, don't make me laugh. As it happens this is one of those jobs (high gloss vinyl wrapped MDF) which is all but impossible to do with "a good sharp saw" because the blades will rag out the vinyl wrapping.

Hi cajar.

I noticed that as well.

I assumed that the more teeth the better. I tried it with a 48 tooth one and it was worse.

I had a look at the displays in a kitchen shop and they weren't much better.

The guy said it's difficult to get a perfect finish on the high gloss kitchens.

well before all us modern day chippys had chop saws we used to have 'nobex' mitre saws.which iirc were bloody expensive but extremley accurate,
i remmeber working on a VERY expensive new build house and the joiner at time was doing the kitchen and he measured/cut and joined all pelmet/cornich's in the lounge then gave us all a call and we gentle lifted it and took it into the kitchen.

AND IT ALL BLOODY WELL FITTED,the guy was a genius.

well before all us modern day chippys had chop saws we used to have 'nobex' mitre saws.which iirc were bloody expensive but extremley accurate
And before them some of us had Ulmia saws, and even before them were Stanley roller guide mitre saw boxes which they started to make in the 1890s.....

Bet your man didn't have to deal with poxy high-gloss vinyl-wrapped MDF, though. Real wood is so much more forgiving

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back