Pen Drives / Memory Sticks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife & I have recently started using Pen Drives for backing up our Family Tee stuff. Does anyone know how long they last before degradation starts to occur?
Thanks
JonB

Sponsored Links
My wife & I have recently started using Pen Drives for backing up our Family Tee stuff. Does anyone know how long they last before degradation starts to occur?
Thanks
JonB

Well being solid state theoretically they should last indefinitely. Back in the real world they can break at any time. Personally I wouldn't trust one as a backup for anything precious. Burning files to CD would be a better option, for the ultimate option, use an online digital valut, which will take care of data degradation issues.

my2p

i used to uses cds, but they take a while to burn and can be scratched or broken.

I changed to zip discs, but managed to literaly wear one out.

I now use memory sticks, dont wear out, not easy to break.

I will not use an online storage facility for 2 reasons

may get hacked into

look what happend with a well known online photo storage site, it closed down with no notice - all pictures lost

Sponsored Links
Use pen drives by all means (good quality though NOT cheapo ebay ones) but also get an external hard drive, £50 or less. do a full backup to that once a week and keep it off site.

Thanks for all your replies, Even though I have a 110GB HD I like the sound of an external drive for security purposes.
JonB

JonB,

When you get your new ext HD, copy your My Documents Folder over and any other important folders, then download SyncToy from Microsoft and that has so many options for updating folders.

You can copy updates from computer to ext HD folders or if you have done some work away from your computer but used the Ext HD you can then update the computer copy just by a couple of clicks.

I use it regularly as my HD is often taken elsewhere for working and then the computer folders are updated in a couple of minutes when I get back. It does not rewrite the whole folder, it detects alterations and additions and rewrites that bit.

http://tinyurl.com/7dlru

dave

Pen Drives like all Flash Memory devices do not have an indefinite lifespan and will fail eventually, there are a certain finite times that a memory location can be written to before it fails (can be as low as 100,00 times on some devices)
Some pen devices have a management system that spreads or rotates the writing of data over the whole memory rather than the same location over and over to try to lengthen its life span and also to avoid already failed locations.

The thing is you should back up elsewhere too as you will never know when the pen is about to fail and they are easily corrupted and damaged by careless inserting /removing stopping them being recognised.

Its of no importance how long these devices last, as computer technology advances, you will be using the new media as it arrives.

How many computer related items from 10 years ago are you still using.... :?:

Its of no importance how long these devices last, as computer technology advances, you will be using the new media as it arrives.

How many computer related items from 10 years ago are you still using.... :?:

Not 10 but nearly 9 years :-

Hard drive, keyboard, monitor, 2 HDD's CD drive, motherboard, graphics card, sound card, floppy disc, ethernet card, some of the original memory, original OS, never re-installed.

the off-site CD is a good guard against e.g. a fire or theft, where you might lose your PC and the external drive sitting next to it.

I use a backup hard drive, and copy to CDs about once a month and store them offsite.

If I was doing it for business purposes I would do it daily. the cheapest way for a small business to do offsite storage is to post your backup CDs to yoursef, second class, every day. then the postman will deliver them safely to you the day after your premises burn down :eek:

Apart from that and using it to upload/download info for my fat frog lighting desk, the FDD in my PC gets very little use.

Sponsored Links
Back