Pencil Ignition Coils

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening All

I wonder if someone could shed some light on Pencil Ignition Coils for me.

See, just to be different, I don't want it for a car! I need the high potential that a standard coil generates, but don't really have the space for the standard coil block or can.

So while looking on eBay for coils I saw all these Pencil Ignition Coils, but can't decide exactly what they do.

Do they sit on top of the standard sparking plug or replace it?
Do they need a fancy drive or can I pulse it myself with a simple connection?
What kind of drive do they need, straight drive you'd get from a car battery, or something with something else?

Thanks for your help

Tom

Sponsored Links
http://delphi.com/manufacturers/auto/powertrain/gas/ignsys/igncoils/
http://autoparts.yowjung.com/detail/174337/174337.html[/QUOTE]

Thanks but I'm afraid that the first one, which provides the most information, still doesn't clarify what connections and what kind of drive is required.

Nor does it actually say that the pencil coil plugs on to the sparking plug. I query this despit the fact that it looks like it because while searching Google for such an answer one of the things I came across was replacement inserts, which made me wonder if they replace the plug all together.

Tom

Yes they sit directly on top of the spark plug.

AFAIK they get a pulse from the Electronic ignition wotsits and makada high voltage themselves :D

Cost about £19+ each for Renault ones.

Sponsored Links
Yes they sit directly on top of the spark plug.

AFAIK they get a pulse from the Electronic ignition wotsits and makada high voltage themselves

Cheers for the information.

Does that mean they have a simple 2 wire connection then or....?

Tom

Yes, the ones in my megane (recently cambelt failed) have a 2 pin connection.

Looking at the Haynes manual, they are wired in series, 2 powered at a time.
Thats likely to make them 6v working ?

Dont quote me though, perhaps a phone call to your local renault dealer may help give more info.

EDIT: Looking further at the manual, one side does go (via the fuel gauge sender unit to bat neg/chassis.

why not simply use an old fasioned ignition coil? at least you know you can get a spark on discharge, some of the electronic sysytems work on capacitor discharge, that is they spark as you release a high voltage from a capacitor into them rather than sparking when the charge is switched off.

Sponsored Links
Back