Cylinder, coil pack or ignition cables?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
99 - 02 Cordoba. Car started to jerk and stutter, engine light flashed for a while and then remained solid. Car struggles for power in the first 2 gears. My previous experience suggests that it's a coil pack, ignition lead or if I'm unlucky, a failed cylinder Is there some way I can find out which it is? Even if I could find out which it might be between ignition lead and coil pack? I don't want to have to buy things just to eliminate them from the potential problem? I checked the ignition leads, and one of them(the lowest one) seemed a little loose at connection point to the coil pack. I pushed it in tighter, but it made no difference to the car, which repeats the above symptoms every time it is started. Obviously a VAG tester might narrow it down, but I still doubt it could tell me whether it's coil pack or ignition leads since the error code would probably be the same? Anyone any tricks or tips as to how I can find out for sure?

Sponsored Links
Very difficult indeed, I'm afraid......I would say coil pack first, then a fuel injector but a diagnostic would prove one or the other.
Presumably the spark plugs are ok? Coil packs fail more frequently than leads, these days.
If you can determine which cylinder is off, it's possible to swap the coil packs around, ( if they are individual) just to see if it comes back to life again.
John :)

Thank you John for the reply. Is it true that when a lead fails that it's usually only a matter of time before the rest follow? About a year ago one of the leads failed while I was having the car serviced(luckily) and my mechanic just swapped out the lead for me at the time. But it's been a year since that? Would you still try the coil first? Thanks again

Can you describe the coil pack for me......is it the square type, with an HT lead connection in each corner, or is it the pencil type that plugs directly on top of the spark plugs? It sounds like the former.
If it is, and the leads are readily available and reasonable, then replace the lot....if it's a pencil coil type, I'd only do the one.

Sponsored Links
After market coil packs are around £50.....if your luck is in, the management light will go out but of course the original fault code will remain stored.
All I can say is that I've replaced quite a few packs in my time .....it is a good bet!
What are you going to do?

I've just ordered a replacement pack. I'll try that first. Thanks for the help. The pack should arrive in a couple of days. I'll come back when I've replaced it out. It's just 2 allen key screws to swap it out, right? :)

Yep, either Allen or Torx, Tim.
You may, if you pop the plugs out notice a different colour on one of them which is the one that isn't firing.
I'm lucky here - my motor factor will actually take stuff like this back if it wasn't the fault after all.....most won't do that.
Let's know how it goes!

Will do John. Thanks for the tip about the leads.

Not my week. Coil pack arrived and I was all set to fit it. I opened the box and one of the connectors was snapped off completely. :(

Local breaker might have one?
They will mark it for you, allowing you time to try it on the car and leave it back, if its not what you need.
But check terms with them first ..........

As you know VAG = Audi VW Seat Skoda so the parts will interchange .............

Supplier agreed to send a replacement part at no extra cost to me!! Thank God. Hope to have it before the weekend. Is there any major risk to the car if I drive it between now and then? Wouldn't be a huge distance. Just a half hour or so? Ideally, I wouldn't but for work...

Misfires are supposed to make the catalytic converter a bit unhappy.....mind you, they get drenched with fuel every cold start!
If the car was mine, I'd drive it as it is.

Anyone know where the air filter is in my car? 99 to 02 Cordoba. 1.4 litre petrol? Is it in the engine cover? I have changed the pollen filter, which I was told was an awful nightmare job, but really it was easy enough! :) Still waiting on Coil pack!

Sponsored Links
Back