Cylinder, coil pack or ignition cables?

Sponsored Links
Ok John,

I've done that test now. The shortest cable made very little difference to the engine, but there seemed to be bright spark coming from it when I unplugged the cable. The other 3 cables changed the engine behaviour dramatically, and one of them shut the engine off completely. I got a slight shock off one of them also! :)

So, does this now mean that the shortest cable or the cylinder tht it is plugged into is where the problem is?

Should I buy a full set of cables or just the short one?

Thanks John.

Well, you've certainly identified which cylinder is the problem, Tim.....good work.
So - the problem has to be:
The HT lead to that cylinder, which certainly could be the issue
The fuel injector to that cylinder (each should have a resistance of around 16 ohms)
The compression on that cylinder, which should be within 10 percent of them all, say 180 psi as a guess.
So - how do you feel about swapping HT leads around, to see if another cylinder goes down instead? Obviously that means keeping the lead to plug positions the same, just swapping the wire.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Seeing as its the shortest lead, you may not be able to use it on another cylinder to try it, due to its length, unfortunately.
But well worth a try ................

I suppose the simplest thing to do now is to buy the short cable. Would hardly cost more than a tenner. As it's the shortest one, I cannot check it on another cylinder. I could check a longer one on the cylinder in question but I might not get a definite result without having the 4th lead in place too? So I think I'll go to Halfords or Consort here in Dublin and see if I can buy the loose short lead. Stick it on and hope that its all that simple!! :)

I'll probably buy it tomorrow and I'll report back once it's fitted! :)

Nobody sells loose leads anymore! :evil:
I've ordered a full set from micksgarage as they are by far the best value. Full set for under 30 euro. Hopefully they'll arrive before Friday!

Ignition cables arrived. I'm going to swap them around this afternoon. They're pull out, push in on both ends right? :)

Sorry John, I don't really follow. This is them.
409445151.jpg

Is it not a simple pull out and plug in? Or is there a bit of twisting or/and clicking involved? Don't wanna screw it up!

Yes, the plug caps are integral.
So yes, twist carefully out of the coil, it may be harder to remove the caps from the plugs, but the leads are pretty strong so give it a go.

Thanks John. You're a God send! :) Do I twist at the plug end also, or will they pull out?

Twist if you can, just to help things - although on some cars it's only possible to pull the lead itself, which isn't too friendly!
Are you going to check the plugs at the same time?

Sponsored Links
Back