Penetrating damp opinions (with pictures)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Last year I moved into a new property and had a full 'buildings survey' to detect any problems.

However the one room the inspector/surveyor could not inspect was stacked floor to ceiling with boxes. The previous owner had stacked all their moving out boxes in this area which conveniently is the only area with problems.

All I want is opinions from anyone else who has had or seen this problem.

I'm convinced the damp is penetrating the wall. It only happens when it rains heavily. But as I live in Wales UK it rains most of the time, so the damp patches are permanently there.

I have attached a few pictures of the wall. The problem area is around the window and also at the bottom corner of the same wall, which is about 1m away from the window.

I don't think it's a problem with the window itself as the patches are not on the inside of the window reveal. However I have had some suggestions that it could be a steel lintel that's angled backwards and water is tracking down the inside of the wall.

Anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this? At first I thought it could be something blocking the cavity or a wall tie problem. However I don't think wall ties would be in those places.

The external wall does need some re-pointing but regardless the water shouldn't be getting through the cavity and internal wall.

I'm a little confused about the damp at the floor level though. The skirting board and carpet seem dry its just the wall that's showing signs of damp.

I appreciate any responses!

Alex

Attachments

• DSCN9322.JPG
    DSCN9322.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 168
  • DSCN9323.JPG
    DSCN9323.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 171
  • DSCN9327.JPG
    DSCN9327.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 160
  • DSCN9328.JPG
    DSCN9328.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 170
  • DSCN9329.JPG
    DSCN9329.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 178
  • DSCN9330.JPG
    DSCN9330.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 145
  • DSCN9331.JPG
    DSCN9331.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 160
  • DSCN9332.JPG
    DSCN9332.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 155
Sponsored Links
Those are localised bridges at the point of the damp. Either moisture moving straight across, or entering further up the wall and moving down and then across.

Does this mean something is blocking the cavity around the window area? Also something is blocking above damp course at the floor line?

The bricks are quite absorbent and some repointing needs to be done on the external wall

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back