performance panel airfilters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi it's me again. i am about to change my air filter on my zaf2 1.8 and was wondering about fitting a none oil panel filter from piper cross. not for more grunt but just so that i don't need to buy another, ever and just clean the new one out now and again. the question is, do these performance panel filters have an adverse efect on performance? as they aparently increase air intake. i remember putting a pankake filter on an old cortina that i had and had to increase the fuel to compensate and don't want to go down that road. just save myself money in the long run. please advise.

Sponsored Links
The increase in performance wont be that noticeable. Every car ive fitted them to i cant say ive been able to tell the difference, maybe only on the turbocharged versions ive noticed a small improvement in driveability

Worry ye not Chris, the fuel injection system will accommodate any change in the air induction caused by your free flow filter. It won't make any difference to the performance or economy.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Well, some do, some don't is about the most accurate response. Its all down to how the manufacturer designed the air intake system. Your best bet is to find the owners club for your vehicle and search around their forums for recommendations.

I've heard various horror stories of modern air flow meters being trashed by people using aftermarket air filters. The oiled ones are the worst, so you might be OK, but these days, cars are just SO finicky about filtration that I honestly wouldn't bother. That said, Pipercross have a good name, so theirs might be as good as OE. As Burnerman says, I very much doubt you'll feel any difference in performance.

Thats a good point about the air flow meter issue ;)
I've fitted a couple of those conical K&N filters for folks and all they did was to make more induction noise....and kid the owner that the car was quicker for it :p
John :)

I've heard various horror stories of modern air flow meters being trashed by people using aftermarket air filters. The oiled ones are the worst, so you might be OK, but these days, cars are just SO finicky about filtration that I honestly wouldn't bother.
I've heard talk about about that with regards to forced induction engines running high boost. Apocryphal evidence is that K&N are oilier than Green Cotton and have been blamed for failed mafs.

weighing all the prose and cons i have chose to replace the filter every year with the bog standard ones. this is my first on my zaf 08, which i have had about a month and it has made a diference. on saying that, the old one looked like the last time it saw daylight was at the vx factory! so much for service history eh? :rolleyes:

I've done tests on a rolling road, your be lucky to get an extra 1or2 bhp.

Tbh you would prob get the same extra from a new oem filter.

I got 300 bhp out of k&n cone filter only designed for 130bhp.

It's the max power mentality.

all i was thinking of was to save myself money in the long run (my boy racer days ended with the invention of the internal combustion engine! :D

I use an oil free pipercross flat panel in my V6 Astra and have only had to clean it twice. Been in there just over 2 years now. Car always runs sweet.
I did try the old boy racer K&N conical number but it made the engine sound rough and ran like sh!t.

I would recommend the Pipercross from personal experience.

thats what i was looking at but with my wifes intervention i paid 5 quid for a replacment filter from the asian guys shop in town. never mind eh? :(

No worries...lol
We all need to strive for a quiet life :D

Luckily, my wife is a bit of a petrolhead too so I get away with loads (like sticking a V6 in the Astra in the first place :D:D)

It's a common misconception that a "performance" air filter will increase horsepower. It likely won't but it will increase the dust and ****e getting into your engine.

The filter manufacturer will likely say it increases flow and it probably will but for it to be effective you really need to make the engine a better air pump. Enlarged valves and better inlet manifold/exhaust manifolds are the only way to do this.

I run or have run several high power cars and have never felt the need to waste my money on them, I don't even use OEM stuff, local motor factor stuff does just as well.

Sponsored Links
Back