Renault Megane (R-reg 1997) cutting out out/fuel problem

APE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have 1997 R-reg Renault Megane, I have had it for 6 months now and it seems to be never ending problems. My latest problem is it randomly cuts out, this has happened 4 times now. I will try and decsribe what is happening without babbling...
IBasically I'm driving along quite happily and the engine appears to die, if i take my foot of the accelerator it comes back to life, but then as soon as I plant my foot again, it dies again, it eventually died and I pulled over, the engine wouldn't start agian, until I left it for about half an hour, it then started and ran as though nothing was wrong!!
The second time, I was pulling away from the traffic lights and it just died (right in the middle of the hatched area...great!!), I got it to the side of the road and it started again almost first time, but as soon as I floor it it just dies, although if I slowly rev it it seems fine. I called Green Flag this time, as soon as he turns up it starts no problem and drives like a dream (well kind of), I asked the guy what he thought it was and he just grunted at me and said "air-lock, fuel pump".
The third time (getting a bit pee'd off now) it was first thing on a freezing morning it just wouldn't start, but I can hear a gugling sound in the fuel line, as though it had air in it, anyway I left it for an hour or so and it then started pretty much straight away.
So, from all this I suppose I am asking: Does this sound like a major problem, or could it just be a a blocked fuel filter or some crap sucked into the pump? Would a good dosing of Redex cure the problem? I am lothed to spend any money on it, it only cost me £1000. If a fuel filter will solve it, I would be more than comfortable having a go, if not, I'm buying a new car!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Id change the filter for starters, and if that doesnt cure it change the fuel pump relay.

Sponsored Links
Back