Pergola of sorts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So... Before i potentially waste my time (and money); is this a viable option?

I am in the process of a landscaping project at home and i have created a space that we want under cover, i plan on using corrugated bitumen sheets as the roof so nice and light.

I have put in new fence posts all 3FT deep into clay and 400mm-450mm dia holes full of 5/1 concrete.

Can i fasten the upright supports to the fence posts and create my framework up top OR should i not and put in some dedicated timber posts to support the pergola?
can i.jpg

Sponsored Links
Concrete posts can be surprisingly easy to snap if you get enough leverage. I had to move one, it was only a couple of years old and concreted in. It snapped near the base very easily after a push.

You'd have a couple of metres of leverage. Someone casually leaning on it could snap it.

There are fittings for hanging from concrete posts, you don't want to drill them. But they're intended for bits and bobs like lights and baskets, not structures.

Don't know about that.
I've covered my alley 15 years ago and bolted the wooden structure 2.4m high to the existing 2 foot concrete posts.
No movement whatsoever.

corrugated bitumen sheets? :sick:

Call it what you like but it won't be a pergola.

Sponsored Links
corrugated bitumen sheets? :sick:

Call it what you like but it won't be a pergola.
Ok, so i want a covered structure to cover my outdoor kitchen and hot tub.

Pergolas to their name seem pretty pointless to me....
Hey Wife, lets go and sit on the patio with a nice glass of wine under them timbers, in the rain.... or blistering sun where we will be greatly protected from the elements.

Its more like a Gazebo if we want to split hairs.

Bitumen sheets were my choice due to strength and durability plus weight.

Poly sheets will create a greenhouse until the roof ends up green, then we have to clean it....

OSB Deck and Felt - Heavy and not fit for my aforementioned plans on the fence posts...

Pitched roof and Shingles, heavy and pointless.

Give me some alternatives, im all ears.

got any photos buddy?
Was done in 2 stages, 2 years apart, using recycled wood for the brown part, hence the difference in the 2 structures.
I meant to dismantle the brown bit and continue the other one with the better slope, but things get in the way...

Attachments

• 20240415_132854.jpg
    20240415_132854.jpg
    370.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 20240415_132902.jpg
    20240415_132902.jpg
    377.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 20240415_132912.jpg
    20240415_132912.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 13
Bitumen sheets were my choice due to strength and durability plus weight.

Poly sheets will create a greenhouse until the roof ends up green, then we have to clean it....
here is full review
OSB Deck and Felt - Heavy and not fit for my aforementioned plans on the fence posts...

Pitched roof and Shingles, heavy and pointless.

Give me some alternatives, im all ears.
If you want a more aesthetic option, you can use composite shingles. It mimics the look of natural shingles, but is lightweight and durable. It is, of course, more expensive

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back