Pergola / Veranda

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

please be nice this is my first build ever of anything, i'm building a pergola / veranda so if anyone spots anything i've done wrong so far please advise me and i will rectify this, the beam on the wall the wood is a little warped so part of it won't sit flush but is secure will this be ok like this.

thanks.
20170723_191424_zpsddkydd83.jpg

Sponsored Links
Good start! Confidence is the hardest step. I'm a diyer too but I'll try to get the ball rolling with a few pointers I would use myself. Although I'd be asking on here too..

I think the main thing you need to get right is the structural stability and connections - you don't want it collapsing on you. Make sure the cross beam is firmly anchored into the wall. Also with the way you have the rafter (sloping member) it will be pushed away from the wall by the force from the wall cross beam. Normally carpenters get around that by doing a "birdsmouth cut" at the top and bottom of the rafter, but assuming it's only a bit of wood, you could get away with strapping it on.
You also need to worry about diagonal stability, basically it not folding up on you. Normally you'd nail some kind of wooden deck or wall board to the structure to keep it straight, so you'll need some diagonal either on the top or on the front. Or you could concrete the posts in well I suppose.

Regarding the connections, I can't see how you've done them, but try to use fixings that won't rust away outside. And where there will be difficult angles like fixing the rafters, you might need some galvanised strapping or brackets to stop things falling off each other.

Regarding durability, try to avoid any horizontal surfaces the water may collect on the timber. Either cut things or fix them at an angle, or cover them somehow (even fence posts have capping on top for this reason)

Good luck, and I'm sure you'll get more help on here later!

As above

You can cut a scrap of ply as a template for a birdsmouth.

So long as there are 2 screws joining the front vertical posts to the horizontal (each side) then it shouldn't fold over. People often add a small diagonal as much for looks as function

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back