Pergola walkway on a slope advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a pergola walkway planned that drops 140mm over 9m to fall in line with the slope of the garden. There are 5 posts (per side) over the 9m with brick plinths built around the base.

What's the best advice in dealing with the slope?

1. Should the entire structure be sloped parallel to the ground?
2. Should the brick plinths decrease in height to match the ground and the top beams be level?
3. Should the brick plinths be level with the beams and just the paving & brick edges fall with the ground level?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-05-30 at 19.26.02.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-30 at 19.26.02.png
    456.3 KB · Views: 50
Sponsored Links
Impossible to say really without seeing the lay of the land and relationship to nearby buildings and fences/walls.

The brain plays tricks with what the eye sees and can make the level seem sloped and the sloping level. Keep it level, you're talking about less than an inch and a half between bases, then oversize the uprights and adjust there. Landscaping and planting around it can help.

Blup

So the paving will fall (which works out about 1:65 anyway) and the brick pillars will be level and then once the posts are in I can decide if I should level the beams or have them fall based on the surroundings.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
So long as it looks ok is the main thing, I would have it all follow the slope of the paving

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back