periodic inspection report in london

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just got a very cheap quote from someone in the London area for a periodic inspection report. I am renting to the council so have to get this test done.

My question to everyone here is what qualifications does the guy need to have? He might be doing the gas check aswell and his charges are alot lower than every one else!

I questioned him and he stated he will bring proof of qualifications. I would assume you need to be very qualified to do inspections on properties and not everyone can do it who is i the trade already.

I also heard that you dont actually have to have any qualificatio to work on electrics in domestic properties. You jus need to be competent. Unlike gas.

Could someone please clarify what would the minimum I would need to be looking at from him.

Thanks in advance/

Sponsored Links
I would be asking to see proof of his competance - particularly City and Guilds 2391 (not essential but goes a long way in proving competance)
Also adequate Public Indemnity Insurance as he will be giving professional advice.
You would also be taking a risk having an un-qualified person carrying out work on a rented property. Although qualifications are not the b-all and end-all they can prove competance.

As for the gas.......

Thanks for the response!

His website says fully insured so I have asked to see that aswell.

What is the legal minimum requirement to do the work for the periodic inspection? I dont mind paying extra if I know someone is capable and legal to do the work. I would think that the responsibility lies with me to employ someone competent.

You say city and guilds 2391 is not essential so what is?

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Also adequate Public Indemnity Insurance as he will be giving professional advice.
You seem to be mixing up the names of 2 different types of insurance.

Public Liability Insurance - this covers the electrician against accidentally injuring someone or damaging their property.

Professional Indemnity Insurance - this covers the electrician against claims for negligence, mistakes etc.

Someone having a PIR done should ensure that the electrician has both.

What is the legal minimum requirement to do the work for the periodic inspection?
There is none.

I dont mind paying extra if I know someone is capable and legal to do the work. I would think that the responsibility lies with me to employ someone competent.
It does.

Get someone registered with NAPIT who only does inspection & testing.

:oops: Yeah - I meant Professional Indemnity insurance. That's what comes of trying to talk to someone at the same time......

Another quick question... If you dont actually need any formal qualifications for testing and inspecting then what do you need qualifications for in electrics?

Its madness that you dont actually have to prove your competence before hand when doing a periodic inspection!

Another quick question... If you dont actually need any formal qualifications for testing and inspecting then what do you need qualifications for in electrics?

As others have stated, the law simply requires that you are competent. For the self-employed this is only likely to be tested if something goes wrong, or if the standard of work or knowledge is challenged.

But, to gain employment as an electrician, most companies will look for City & Guilds qualifications and references. And to get a JIB grading, which might be essential to gain work on site, you will also have to provide evidence in the form of qualifications and experience.

Its madness that you dont actually have to prove your competence before hand when doing a periodic inspection!

As a client, you should be careful who you employ. But, I'm afraid it's a bit of a lottery when trying to find a competent inspector - qualifications mean very little on their own, so you really should try and find a spark on the recommendation of others if you can.

what do you need qualifications for in electrics?
To prove to a customer that you are competant
To gain membership of a part P self cert scheme.
And finally and most importantly to prove your competance to a court if/when the **** REALLY hits the fan and your incompetance is being blamed for it.

Until very recently you didn't legally have to prove your competance to do any electrical stuff at all afaict.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back