Perlin support question - with pic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

Long time reader only just signed up to post a question. :)

we will be replacing a crappy single glazed window with a proper dormer.

In green I have drawn roughly where the internal walls reside, the left hand side on the picture isn't a problem as we can place support in outside the room.

The question I have is when we support the perlin can we support it from a vertical position as the red line would suggest or will we need to bring it in at an angle as the yellow line suggests..

We initially thought the correct way would be to bring it in at an angle but a friend came over yesterday who used to design planning drawings said it does not matter and he draws them with vertical support. this would obviously be easier as we wont have to box a joist in.

My question is your thoughts? Thank you.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAAAAAPk/asPDFmnTVEg/s720/perlinsupport.jpg

Sponsored Links
If the purlin is vertical, support it vertically, if perpendicular to the rafters then support perpendicular

But for that distance it wont matter, do what is more convenient

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back