permanently removing rads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hopefully a quick question here!

When removing a radiator from a sealed system - am I best just cutting and capping the pipes - leaving two spurs - or going back to the T-joint and trying to keep all connectors in-line in the affected part of the pipe-work?

Also - are push-fit connectors recommended for central heating?

All the modification are in my sub-floor space and with plastic pipe - which I plan to stick with. Any recommendations on brands?

Cheers

Whitling2k

Sponsored Links
You can either just cap the two tails as they are or cut them back to tee. Makes no odds.

As for push-fit caps, yes OK to use. One thing though - if you are going to cap with p/f, don't fit the cap on the last bit of pipe where olive for rad valve was located. This could have deformed the end of pipe a bit and will affect p/f cap's ability to grip. Cut the pipe back at least a couple of inches.

Cheers for that - I wondered if the spurs could fill up with gunk and cause problems.

For your second piece of advice - I'll be cutting them well back anyway - so well under ground. Sound like cut 'n cap will be my weapon of choice!

Thanks again - Whitling2k

The spurs will just trap a little air/water. On water supply, wouldn't be advisable as water will stagnate in deadlegs, breeding germs. Won't cause any problem in your ch system, as I'm hazarding a guess that you won't be drinking the water from it.

Sponsored Links
I caught my cat drinking CH water once!

I had to be ever so careful when she was around, to tip it all away immediately :)

She suffered no ill effects though.

I caught my cat drinking CH water once!

I had to be ever so careful when she was around, to tip it all away immediately :)

She suffered no ill effects though.

Mine always drinks rainwater from puddles, but rarely the water I leave down in a bowl for him.

Mrs WS has tried him on mineral water, which he seems to like. :rolleyes: Tap water not good enough for puss any more.

Hope there wasn't too much corrosion inhibitor in your system.

There was a fair bit of inhibitor in, and she hadn't taken more than a few laps of it before I caught her. Fortunately I don't think X100 is too toxic. I was all prepared to taker her straight to the vet if she got ill though.

My other cats also like rainwater more than what I put down for them.

Plumbers cats - perhaps you could train them to clean up spills? Rad juice is so hard to remove from carpets - not good when your bucket has a split :-/

luckily we're removing the carpet as part of the project :)

Thanks for all the tips!

Whitling2k

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back