permissible drop

corgigrouch . So what your saying is before you do any work on the gas supply you do exactly what your meant to ie test up.

Gastel by the book why would you be happy leaving an 4mbar drop on a u6 but not a 8mbar E6 and tell us whY

Sponsored Links
What about an E6 meter, your allowed an 8mb drop with no smell of gas!! Never been ok with that rule, it plays on the conscience!

I have a question for the engineers here, if youve done a tightness test on an E6 meter and noticed a 9mb drop in 3 mins.....then investigated further & found when you isolated (Gas on) boiler (only appliance in house) the drop was only 3mb in 3mins.....what would be the next course of action?

Seek out and fix the leak in the carcass.

The E6 has a much smaller capacity than any other meter and so any drop in pressure for any given loss in volume would be more noticeable on your gauge so you could lose exactly the same volume of gas on an E6 as you can on a U6 but because the capacity inside the U6 is greater than the E6 then the pressure drop would be greater..

corgigrouch . So what your saying is before you do any work on the gas supply you do exactly what your meant to ie test up.

Gastel by the book why would you be happy leaving an 4mbar drop on a u6 but not a 8mbar E6 and tell us whY

Yup, I just do it automatically whilst the customer makes me a brew... I couldn't remember if it was mandatory or just something that I was told to do many years ago and just got into the habit of..

Nope mandatory . And ou gave a very good and simple explaination of U6 and E6 pressure drops and reason allowed

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I wasn't too sure if it made sense to anyone else. Sometimes things that are clear in ones mind are the most difficult to explain

Now all I have to do is decide which is the Vaillant equivalent to a Worcester Greenstar 30Cdi combi and all will be right in the world

Dont like worcesters . The 8 minute test on initial install then the 15min condensate fill. Everytime you turn power off its a pain. Just don`t rate them. But its all our own prefrences

I know the reasons,my point was to visibly see that drop kinda makes you think :confused: , I do 40 odd tightness tests a day........& 1 thing ive found out is theres alot of people living with potentially dangerous gas leaks.

Twenty meters before and after so that should tell ya not to worry about E6 `s

Dont like worcesters . The 8 minute test on initial install then the 15min condensate fill. Everytime you turn power off its a pain. Just don`t rate them. But its all our own prefrences

My area seems to be a Worcester stronghold and this is all that I seem to be asked for but I have a customer with an old Vaillant (About 15 years old) who I couldn't convince to keep. To be honest it is in better shape than many half its age. I have told him that I would give him a quote for fitting both a WB 30Cdi and the equivalent Vaillant which I guess is the Ecotec plus 831..Based on DHW flow. Looks like a nice piece of kit and it is always good to give the customer an option.

Tony why replace the cooker have you never heard of greasing tap barrels even some oven thermostat barrels can be greased.
Not unusual for screws that hold taps to rail to un do.

These are always very old cookers which any normal person would have replaced years ago. Usually third rate landlords cookers. They are crawing with grease and not anything anyone would want to work on without taking a shower immediately afterwards.

I have only once dismantled a hob to grease the taps, for someone starting up as a property manager who I felt like helping. What did he do to reward me? Gave me a bounced cheque on the next job!

Tony

Most of the above is right..

Permitted drops, 2 minutes, no smell of gas, old appliances connected:

[code:1]Pipework Up to 28mm up to 35mm
E6 8mbar 4.5mbar
U6 4 mbar 2.5mbar
U16 1 mbar 1 mbar[/code:1]

I have it in writing from the dogs that for a Landlord's, if you find a drop with an appliance connected you are NOT obliged to isolate the appliance to find where the leak is.

On ACS I'd say about 3 out of 4 guys who have been out there for at least 5 years think you're allowed a drop on existing pipework. All wrong it's zero. Some really need a lot of persuading! It's the phrase "Existing Installations" which is misleading, and should never have been used.

Well not quite zero - discernible drop of the gauge, which is 0.3 mbar for an electronic and 0.5 for water.

Yup, I just do it automatically whilst the customer makes me a brew... I couldn't remember if it was mandatory

Its NOT mandatory!

But if the customer does not offer me a coffee or tea, then I might have a slightly longer response time to any future calls!

Tony

Most of the above is right..

Permitted drops, 2 minutes, no smell of gas, old appliances connected:

[code:1]Pipework Up to 28mm up to 35mm
E6 8mbar 4.5mbar
U6 4 mbar 2.5mbar
U16 1 mbar 1 mbar[/code:1]

I have it in writing from the dogs that for a Landlord's, if you find a drop with an appliance connected you are NOT obliged to isolate the appliance to find where the leak is.

Discernible"OR" Perceptible?
On ACS I'd say about 3 out of 4 guys who have been out there for at least 5 years think you're allowed a drop on existing pipework. All wrong it's zero. Some really need a lot of persuading! It's the phrase "Existing Installations" which is misleading, and should never have been used.

Well not quite zero - discernible drop of the gauge, which is 0.3 mbar for an electronic and 0.5 for water.

Tony i take it you mean making you a cup off tea is not mandatory.
Agree with you regards the state of some cookers .
Had them with grass growing out them and people moaning that it doesn`t seem to be working right. Usually with the comment i was going to clean it "what this year*
Even when you ask for washing up liquid and wash your tools before putting them away they don`t flinch

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back