permission for changing facade

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am planning to change the facade from plastic into insulated and rended one. Do I need permission for this. All the houses on my tiny road are the same.
Could you advise where to get the permission if so. By pls do not write contact local athorities, please. Tell what athority to contact
Thanks

Sponsored Links
How old is your property?
I'd start by looking at the property Deeds (Conveyance Document) as that may have restrictions listed particularly with recent builds - say newer than 1970 (my deeds puts a 'ban' trailers and goods vehicles over car size parked on the property).

Sponsored Links
Oh, not sure how old but definitely not a new one. I would say it is older then 1970 but it is used to be council houses I guess

Normally you cannot change materials without planning permission. This is because permitted development rights include a condition on materials, e.g.:

A.3 Development is permitted by Class A subject to the following conditions—

(a)the materials used in any exterior work (other than materials used in the construction of a conservatory) must be of a similar appearance to those used in the construction of the exterior of the existing dwellinghouse

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2015/596/schedule/2/part/1/made

Normally you cannot change materials without planning permission.

The criteria is "similar appearance", not "same materials".

But more fundamentally, external insulation is an improvement and not an enlargement, so does not require planning permission. Unless in a designated/special area.

What does this mean in relation to PD?

"The installation of solid wall insulation constitutes an improvement rather than an enlargement or extension to the house and is not caught by the provisions of (e), (f), (g), (h) and (j)."

It means insulation is not considered an 'enlargement' so is not caught by some of the restrictions which relate to extensions.

Anything permitted by Class A is subject to the materials condition though.

The term 'similar appearance' is open to interpretation, some councils are probably more relaxed that others.

Government doesn't seem too sure what the term means either. Their technical guidance suggests that in some cases using the same material would be necessary, but in others not:

The condition above is intended to ensure that any works to enlarge, alter or improve a house result in an appearance that minimises visual impact and is sympathetic to existing development. This means that the materials used should be of similar visual appearance to those in the existing house, but does not mean that they need to be the same materials. For example:
• the external walls of an extension should be constructed of materials that provide a similar visual appearance - for example in terms of colour and style of brick used - to the materials used in existing house walls
• a pitched roof on an extension should be clad in tiles that give a similar visual appearance to those used on the existing house roof. Again, colour and stylewill be important considerations; flat roofs will not normally have any visual impact and so the need for materials of similar appearance should not apply
• it may be appropriate to include new PVC double glazed windows in an extension even if there are no such windows in the existing house. What is important is that they give a similar visual appearance to those in the existing house, for example in terms of their overall shape, and the colour and size of the frames.

So if the walls are brick you have to use brick and the colour and style of brick need to match. If it's a tiled roof you have to use tiles and the colour and style need to match. That's pretty specific advice. For windows however... you can use PVC even if the existing windows are not!

Seems inconsistent but that's the advice.

At appeal I have seen a roof dormer deemed to not be PD by an Inspector as although the Inspector felt the colour of the tiles matched the main house, the texture of the tiles did not! So harsh decisions can be taken in some cases.

As usual it's best to check with you own council to see what their view is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back