Permission to remove under stairs loo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got a pretty small kitchen, which would be made immeasurably better if we could lose the toilet next door..then at least we could have the fridge/freezer in the kitchen.

Am I okay to just rip it out or do I need planning permission?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Is that the only W.C. on the ground floor?

You will not require planning permission but if it is the only W.C. on the ground floor, then Building Reg's would have something to say about it because in accordance with Part M, you are infact making the current situation worse (i.e. people would need to go upstairs to use a W.C.).

If you have another W.C. on the ground floor, then you will not be required to apply for Planning permission OR Building Regulation approval.

thanks for that, yes it is the only wc on the ground floor. I thought there may be an issue, disappointing really as it's a 3 bed house with 3 toilets which feels a bit overkill for our needs.

Unless it was removed, left for a certain number of years thus making it too long for the Building Control department to take any action.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back