Permitted Development - appeal decisions and other info ...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

In case anyone's interested, I've produced a summary of appeal decisions that are relevant to the amended permitted development legislation (Part 1 of the GPDO). The aim of this document is to try and provide answers to some of the many ambiguities in the legislation. This document is called "Appeal Decision Summaries", and is available on the following website (it's the second document listed on the home page) ...

www.planningjungle.com

The other document on the above website that you might find useful is called "A visual guide to permitted development", which is the first document listed on the home page.

Thanks,
Steve

Sponsored Links
Thanks lpasengland, how is Merton?:cool: Obviously much kudos to you for producing the website and its contents, I recall spongobongo linked to it a while back as it happens. :p

As ever though we always want more!

On the page with the list of appeals, would it be possible to give a brief description of the development after the address, this would make searching for relevant decisions a whole lot easier.

You should stick around, the odd planners who have posted before have not stuck around for long.

Hi FreddyMercurysTwin,

Thanks for your reply - really appreciated :D

I'm now at Lambeth - but still keep in good contact with several of the people at Merton - both places seem to be doing ok - although both very busy at the moment (due to reduced staff numbers).

So how about yourself - are you an agent or architect ... ? Do you work in the London area ... ? What sort of schemes do you deal with ... ?

Thanks very much for the feedback on the document - I don't get a lot of feedback on it, and people making suggestions is VERY rare (which is a real shame). Did you mean changing the entries in the "Contents" section to something along the lines of ...

-----------------------------------------------------------

• The “principal elevation” is not necessarily the elevation that fronts a highway.
[Source: 16 July 2009 – 12B Pound Pill] - Outbuilding
[Source: 22 October 2009 – Ditton Cottage, Ditton Park Road] – Two-storey extension and single storey extension
[Source: 18 November 2009 – Pembroke House, Parsonage Lane] - Outbuilding
[Source: 2 February 2010 – 42 South Street] – First floor extension

-----------------------------------------------------------

It's really interesting to get feedback on how someone else searches the document. I tend to use the document along the following lines ... first by thinking (for example) "I'm sure there was case where the Inspector found that the principal elevation didn't have to contain the front door", then by reading through the relevant section of the"Contents" (in this case the "Principal Elevation" section), and then by finding in there the list of appeals that relate to that particular issue. Do you tend to remember the cases more based on the type of extension that was proposed - for example "I'm sure the case involved a rear dormer" or "I'm sure the case involved a side infill extension" ... ?

Happy to make changes, particularly if it makes the document more user-friendly - although I'm currently updating the visual guide and doing another new document, so might have to wait until after then.

Thanks again :D
Steve

Hi Steve, I'm a self employed Techy and do mainly domestic plans + regs, am in Plymouth at the moment.

I meant that could the descriptions on this page http://www.planningjungle.com/appeal_decisions.shtml maybe include something to describe each appeal and may be sectioned off into categories? I appreciate there are probably a few ways to catalogue all of the appeals but just my thoughts really. I know there's a contents document that does this anyway, it would be nice if they were linked though.

I'm surprised none of the other regulars on here have piped up and mentioned anything tbh, especially with the amount of PD queries that crop up on here! Maybe its just me or they're being shy! :rolleyes: :LOL:

Keep up the good work, some of us appreciate it! :p

Sponsored Links
Hi everyone this is my first time. I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether a neighbours drain can legally be in my garden after he built an extension and left no space for it on his side of his property. The worst thing is I have seen a rat running in and out of a hole which is immediately under the waste pipe from his house. Any answers would greatly be appreciated.

You should really start a new post. But the answer is no - if it is a new drain. For new drains your neighbour needs your permission to come onto your land and would need an enduring agreement for it to remain going forward. If you don't want it, tell him no. He will have to find an alternative.

Hi FreddyMercurysTwin,

Really sorry for not replying earlier - my computer went "bang" (broken PSU) and it took me a while to sort out.

Thanks for your posts - I will try and stick around and post a few replies. LPA planners normally only get to see a very narrow part of the building process, so will be nice for me on this forum to hear about some other aspects of it. From what I've seen so far, it looks like there are several people on this BR+PP forum who are very clued up on planning legislation, so most of my replies are likely to duplicate what other people have already said.

Anyway - see you around :)
Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back