Permitted development on house that was once two properties?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I live in a house that was once two separate properties that were knocked through to form one in the early sixties. And this was done with planning permission.

What I'm wondering is, how does this effect my permitted development rights? Does it count as a new property from the point it was connected, therefore meaning I have full permitted development rights, or does it count as development meaning i would need to apply for planning even though the outside has not changed other than the removal of a door.

I know that is a very niche question but any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
Josh

Sponsored Links
I believe that a property which is immune from enforcement action attracts the same pd rights as one with full permission from the outset.

Sometimes owners apply for certificate of lawfulness which is documentary - and legal - proof from the planning authority that immunity exists.

Given the change of use took place so many years ago it should be immune (IIRC it's something like 4 years for a dwelling) but ultimately you need to check that with the Council.

Sometimes local planning authorities withdraw certain pd rights so that is also worth checking.

Blup

This is a single property, with full PD rights, unless specifically stated otherwise in either the original planning permission or your deeds (or if there's some other limitation (Article 4 Direction, Listed Building, Conservation Area, etc.))

Sponsored Links
The GDPO was enacted in 1995, and that's when rights were consolidated and acquired to buildings existing at that time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back