Permitted fence height?

Sponsored Links
Hi
just seen this thread. Forgive me if I'm a little late. I am new to this.
My neighbours garden is at least 30cm higher than the level of mine.
How high can I build my fence? The fence will be ony property and not along the boundary. I was hoping by your comment of 2m from their side that I was ok to do this. Is that the case?
Thank you
Tony

You should have started a new thread, not resurrected an old one.
But if your fence is not a boundary fence, your neighbour's garden is totally irrelevant.

If the fence is on your land but immediately adjacent to your neighbours higher garden, you can measure it from the highest natural point. If any of the following apply you must obtain planning approval:

- it would be over 1m high and next to a highway used by vehicles. Or be over 2m high and sited elsewhere, such as a back garden
- an existing wall over 1m high being rebuilt higher than its original height. This is when next to a highway used by vehicles
- an existing wall over 2m high being rebuilt higher than its original height. This is when sited elsewhere, such as a back garden
- it is at the front of your house or the side if seen from the street. This is if the property is covered by an Article 4 Direction
- your house or flat is a listed building the fence, gate, wall or any other boundary involved, forms a boundary with a neighbouring listed building or its curtilage.

Its worth remembering that most boundaries are not accurately defined unless the Parties have had a boundary determination. For example one property I own has an easement that encompasses precise boundary dimensions (to 100mm). Generally they can be +- the nearest meter.

Sponsored Links
Thank you all.
I apologise if I have drifted from site rules as I'm not familiar with using forums etc.
I think both your replies give me the answer I was looking for. That is as it's not a boundary fence I can start the measurements from the high ground of my neighbour so long as it's not more than the maximum on their side.
The other re building regs don't apply in my case. I very much appreciate your time.
Many thanks I will start ordering materials
Tony

You can always put a call in to your planning dept to check or just advise your neighbour in advance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back